The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The American Red Cross is the foremost volunteer emergency service organization in the United States with more than 590 chapters nationwide.
We are currently seeking a Disaster Program Manager to cover Northern Vermont. The position's location of record will be Burlington, VT. The staff member can work out of our Burlington office, or work from home (WFH).
MUST live within one of seven Northern VT counties. Will involve extensive travel in Northern VT.
The Disaster Program Manager is responsible for the implementation of the disaster services program in a 7-county area covering northern VT-Chittenden, Grand Isle, Franklin, Lamoille, Caledonia, Essex or Orleans Counties. The territory is based on the regional configuration.
The Disaster Program Manager leads and manages a primarily volunteer team responsible for the implementation of disaster preparedness, response, and recovery programs in the local area. Ensures the development of Disaster Leadership Volunteers in each of the program support functional areas of the disaster cycle in order to meet the needs of the territory, region, state and division.
The Disaster Program Manager operates as a part of the Disaster Management Cycle processes. Responsible for local preparation, response and recovery management as well as management of government partnerships with assigned territory. Drivers for this work include the number of municipalities within its coverage area, the amount and complexity of program activity, presence of significant grant funding, geography, risk, population, frequency of events, and regional structure.
Performs these functions according to the guidance provided by the Regional Disaster and Program Officer; team leadership is provided by the RDPO. This position reports directly to the Senior DPO or the RDPO; and may have a dotted line to Community Exec (s) in the territory they cover. This position may have dotted line supervision to program support functions within the Region and/or may also serve as a program support function lead within the Region.
This position works closely with, is supported by and receives technical guidance from program support functions at the regional level.
Position includes 24/7 on-call responsibilities.
1. Act in a facilitative leader role across the disaster cycle: the Red Cross will align with government and work to enable the entire community to participate in all phases of the disaster cycle by shifting from being not only a provider of direct services but also a facilitative leader.
2. Within scope of position, represents the entire disaster cycle of preparedness, response and recovery.
3. Hires, trains, coaches, counsels and evaluates performance of direct reports and volunteers.
4. Ensures that American Red Cross services are available to diverse communities.
5. Mobilizes the local community to prepare for, respond to and recover from emergencies. Meets the needs and expectations of clients and stakeholders. Develops human and material resources (volunteers, partners, community agencies, shelter and vendor agreements etc.) to ensure the full cycle of disaster services is delivered.
6. Manages local responses by the deployment volunteers on a daily basis in a rapid and accessible manner. Serves during times of disaster as the operational leadership for the territory/local level; Participates in a leadership role on larger operations regionally, division or nationwide
7. Leads and manages a primarily volunteer team responsible for the implementation of disaster preparedness, response, and recovery programs in the local area. Ensures the development of Disaster Leadership Volunteers in each of the program support functional areas of the disaster cycle in order to meet the needs of the territory, region, state and division.
8. Program delivery:
Accountable for the implementation of the disaster services program in a territory in alignment with established metrics
9. In conjunction with program support functions in a region participates in local planning, exercises and training, including exercises called by local partners (VOADs, EMAs and LEPCs).
10. Serves as the Red Cross thought leader on a local level with government and other agencies and organizations involved in disaster. Ensures interface with community leaders, corporations, businesses and government agencies.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum of 3-5 years experience with social services or service/program delivery. Demonstrated experience in coordinating staff and volunteer activities. Ability to interpret program trends, results, and related data to formulate recommendations. Ability to manage multiple priorities with strong skills in planning and problem-solving. Ability to relate well and effectively with diverse groups and individuals.
Minimum of 1-3 years staff management experience.
Skills and Abilities:
Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Develops project plans & budgets. Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of program or service. Demonstrated ability in creating presentations and developing training modules. Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals. Demonstrated analytical and decision-making skills to develop creative processes for continuous program or service improvements. Demonstrated analytical and decision-making skills to develop creative processes for continuous program or service improvements. Proven track record of collaboration, facilitation, problem solving, marketing, leadership, and partnership management. Additionally, this position requires ability for planning, public speaking, project management and process improvement. Individual must be customer oriented, organized, and able to operate with an orientation toward solutions with an external focus, and team orientation.
Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Must be able to perform all assigned responsibilities under "grey sky" requirements. This position is also responsible for ensuring that all American Red Cross finance policies and procedures are followed as related to the scope of work activity.
Will involve extensive travel.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee's professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment.