***For the purposes of minimum qualification and comparative analysis, ONLY your State of Colorado job application will be reviewed. Therefore, it is paramount that you clearly describe all of your relevant experience on the application itself. Applications left blank or marked "SEE RESUME" will not be considered.***
***The Governors Office of Information Technology does NOT offer sponsored Visa's for employment purposes.***
What We Do:
The Governor's Office of Information Technology (OIT) strives to impact the lives of all Coloradans to create a safer, happier and healthier state. We work to empower the State of Colorado with flexible technology that will drive sustainable and intelligent business decisions. We envision a future where the end-user experience shapes design, and data analytics transform how state government serves its residents.
At OIT, we recognize that "how"
we deliver is as important as "what"
we deliver. Our core values define our character, and each employee is expected to embody these values in all the work we do:
SERVICE: Serving the people of Colorado
Intentionally and generously serving others for a better Colorado.
INTEGRITY: Demonstrating credibility and sincerity in our work
Inspiring confidence and trust in the Governor's Office of Information Technology through our personal conduct.
TEAMWORK: Collaboratively working together at OIT and across the state
Working cooperatively with others and engaging in constructive dialogue to overcome difficult challenges
RESPECT: Appreciating and acknowledging the role, diversity, and contribution of those with whom we work.
Consistently conducting ourselves in a way that shows regard and thoughtfulness to others.
COURAGE: Pushing boundaries to foster positive change
Proactively and positively pursuing the transformations necessary to address tough issues and drive innovation.
Why We Want You:
We want your expertise, positive energy, drive to succeed and love of this great state as we work to elevate the expectations Coloradans have of their government.
What You'll Get From Us:
At OIT you will find an opportunity to contribute meaningful work to support and serve Colorado residents. It's your chance to combine your love of technology with public service. Plus, you'll have great benefits, motivated team members, and opportunities for flexible work hours and advancement.
Check out this video to see why our employees love working for the Governor's Office of Information Technology:
Description of Job
THIS POSITION SUPPORTS THE COLORADO DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
The Developer II has responsibilities across the full Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) from business requirements to support, but he or she is primarily focused on development activities. Development activities include: working with business analysts and customers to understand requirements; working with team members to apply secure programming techniques using standards and best practices; commenting code for peers and testers; performing unit
testing, configuration management, source code control, deployment and release management; and providing support services as needed. Operational support services vary in scope from minor bug fixes (tickets) to major enhancements (change orders). As an application reaches the sunset stage, the developer is also expected to participate in planning efforts around replacement and modernization. The Developer II operates at the application level.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Request Management - 20%
Application Development and Support - 50%
- Handle simultaneous requests of varying complexity from supported customers.
- Complete staff assignments within a matrixed supervisory environment.
- Adhere to Incident Management & Change Management policies and protocols established by OIT for incident resolution and implementing production system changes.
Tracking and Reporting of Work Assigned - 15%
- Consult with Solution Architects, Solution Engineers, and others as appropriate to design applications in line with OIT strategies (e.g., Cloud First, Mobile First, Secure Colorado, etc.).
- Collaborate with Business Analysts, Customers, Project Managers, and others as appropriate to assist in the creation of estimates and timelines.
- Develop applications in line with business requirements using Agile or Waterfall methodologies as needed.
- Perform coding (in-house applications) or configuration management (COTS applications) in accordance with
standards and best practices and further minimize defects through disciplined unit testing.
- Coordinate update releases and other system changes, contribute to the implementation of break/fix solutions, and update documentation and configuration information related to changes as needed throughout the life cycle.
- Organize, build, and validate all segments of the code related to a specific build (release) for final User Acceptance Testing.
- Ensure development activities within the position's scope of responsibility are consistent with established service portfolio policies, procedures, standards and guidelines.
- Determine the best approach in the development of an application's code to meet the customer's current requirements and anticipate future enhancement needs.
- Identify and recommend changes to development policies, processes, templates and standard operating procedures to improve the overall quality of work being delivered.
- Collaborate across a matrix management environment with other developers and other OIT department staff as needed. Must understand lines of authority and follow protocol to engage other resources.
- Find unique ways to resolve issues in the development process to meet the requirements of the customers and lead to the most efficient implementation possible.
Additional Duties As Assigned - 15%
- Working with the supervisor, develop estimates of the work effort necessary to deliver application solutions based on the project specifications provided. Record time spent on work activities into the approved project tracking system. Provide appropriate progress reports to the supervisor or project manager as requested.
- Determine reasonable and accurate estimates for the completion of assigned work activities.
Resolve Service Desk Incidents within Service Level Agreements (SLA)
- Perform all other duties as assigned
- Work with agency staff to evaluate and analyze service desk application incidents
- Develop, test, and deploy solutions into the production environment within priority-based SLA timeframes
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
- 3-5 years of hands-on programming experience in applications development .
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university in information
technology, computer science, or related fields. (Relevant experience may be
substituted for education at the hiring manager's discretion.)
The Line of Business Developer II is responsible to develop applications solutions for departmental end users and public customers; produce technical documentation of the baseline application for configuration management; work with quality assurance testers to verify solution fitness for purpose; modify the application based on user acceptance testing; implement the solution into the production environment.
We prefer that other comptencies include:
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proven aptitude for time and task management.
- Demonstrated understanding of application design, development, testing, integration and support within an SDLC framework.
- Ability successfully resolve application defects and document solutions within a knowledge base
- Ability to work as part of a larger team
- Ability to work under minimal direction
- Must be detail-oriented and have demonstrated ability to take ownership of tasks, deliver on schedule, understand and manage priorities and raise risks/issues on a timely basis.
- Must be able to communicate proficiently; Specifically discuss projects, requirements, proposed solutions and verbally demonstrate results.
FUNCTIONAL/TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- C# experience (3+ years) emphasis in ASP.NET MVC 5
- .NET programming knowledge (3+ years) and experience with SSRS
- SQL (3+ years)
- Exposure to mobile development is very helpful
- Source Control Experience via TFS and/or GitHub (1 year)
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum (1 year)
- Microsoft Certifications are helpful
ROLE BASED COMPETENCIES
- Documented proficiency working on development platforms, using multiple
programming languages. (Provided via copies of performance evaluations, letters of
- Documented proficiency working collaboratively with teams across the software
development life cycle. (Provided via copies of performance evaluations, letters of
- Familiarity with delivering application prototypes and pilots in various project
methodologies such as Agile and Waterfall.
- Familiarity with using Application Programming Interfaces to integrate systems or data sources.
- Proficiency in time and task management.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Powerpoint and Microsoft Excel.
- Use requirements provided by Business Analysts to interpret business needs and recommend and develop technical solutions accordingly.
- Apply deductive reasoning to technical issues to determine root cause and recommend and perform a methodical process to fix them.
- Recommend innovative ideas for greater efficiency in the development process or deliverable itself wherever possible.
Attention To Detail
- Complete all work with firm adherence to policies, procedures and established best practices and in accordance with industry standards wherever possible.
- Subject all efforts to careful scrutiny to ensure the integrity of own work as well as project deliverables.
- Become knowledgeable about new initiatives and tools being adopted by OIT.
- Respond positively to changes in department processes, initiatives, and tools to help ensure a smooth transition from current state to future state.
- Assist other team members in adapting to these changes when needed.
- Understand role on the project team, complete assigned deliverables on schedule, and support team members with time or expertise where needed.
Any person with a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may be provided a reasonable accommodation upon request to enable the person to complete an employment assessment. To receive the accommodation, the person making the request must present medical documentation that describes the disability which justifies the accommodation. Because it requires several days for OIT to evaluate the request and prepare for the accommodation, it is essential for the person who believes he/she may need an accommodation to locate or obtain the documentation that he/she intends to submit well in advance of the assessment date. Failure to provide the medical documentation several days in advance of a comparative analysis could make it impossible for OIT to prepare for and provide the requested accommodation.
To request a reasonable test accommodation for this assessment, please contact the Center for Human Resource Management at (303)757-9216 or the contact listed on this announcement several days before the assessment date.
- Conditions of employment: A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted as part of the selection process, and/or other department-specific screens as required. Felony convictions or conviction of crimes of moral turpitude or conviction of misdemeanors related to job duties may disqualify you from being considered for this position.
- Some details to be aware of: Former employees of the State of Colorado who have not left in good standing will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Comparative Analysis Process: is the selection process used to identify the applicant that fits the job the best from a qualified applicant pool. Applications and applicants are compared to others in the pool to identify a top group. Applicants will be notified of their status in the pool via email.
- On-call Status: As warranted
- Travel- May require travel to locations throughout the Denver Metro area.