This position is responsible for providing public health nursing services to individuals, families, and population groups in Health Department clinics, client homes, and in the community. Nursing activities include, but are not limited to: systematic analysis of health data; health education and advocacy; coalition building; and collaborating with community partners to promote the health of a population. This position will strive to: build healthy communities through promotion of healthy environments; achieve health equity and social justice; improve quality of life and increase access to care. This position may be involved with special health projects in the community including, but not l limited to, the Community Health Assessment, nursing interventions, and goal setting with a client and family.
Seeks to protect the community from vaccine preventable disease by providing education and immunization services to community residents. Assesses the immunization status of clients, administers vaccines, and educates clients and caregivers about immunization matters while providing travel health information and administering vaccines to international travelers.
· Prepare and maintain client records through the entry of accurate and appropriate patient information into the Health Department’s electronic health records system.
· Help clients to obtain appropriate medical and social assistance; teach and counsel clients and families; act as an advocate and promote family autonomy.
· Perform outreach functions, attend interagency meetings as assigned, and work collaboratively with all community agencies.
· Perform initial client assessment by acquiring health and family histories, conduct routine medical tests, and make appropriate referrals.
· Counsel clients and provide health education in areas of parenting, child development, health and medical problems and services, and life cycle tasks for the purpose of improving or enhancing the personal health of the client(s).
· Strictly adhere to all Federal, State and Local laws, regulations, rules and/or guidelines including HIPAA regulations as well as all grant requirements, where applicable.
· Evaluate outcomes of public health nursing interventions; work with others (clients and other professionals) to make changes as necessary.
· Mentor students as public health leaders to strengthen the public health nursing workforce.
· Promote evidence-based practice, maintain best practices, and determine and maintain essential Public Health Nurse competencies.
- ADN and 2 years of nursing experience
- Registered Nursing license in the state of Ohio
- Strong computer skills
- Knowledge of modem medical procedures and protocols
- Valid driver's license & insurance, and reliable transportation
- Ability to work evenings & weekends during busy season
- Advanced degree
- Experience in multiple medical specialties
- Experience in promoting evidence-based practice, education, and research
- Previous public health nursing experience
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $23.78 - $27.80 per hour
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- nursing: 2 years (Required)
- Registered Nurse (RN) (Required)
- Associates Degree in Nursing (Required)
- Women's Health
Relocation Assistance Provided: