The Therapeutic Program Manager is responsible for assisting in planning and coordinating the Adult Day Services therapeutic activity (social and recreational) program. The Therapeutic Program Manager reports directly to the Director of ADS. Responsibilities include:
1.Planning and implementation of appropriate activities to ensure needs of the participants and families are met.
2.Coordinating inclusion of student fieldwork, instruction, and research project activities into the ADS routine by interfacing with research faculty and graduate students in the planning and implementation of research programs.
3.Providing direct care to center participants including personal care and assisting with meals and snacks, as well as monitoring participant safety and notifying the Healthcare Coordinator or the Director of changes in condition.
4.Instructing and role modeling implementation of the therapeutic activity program to staff and students, provide guidance as needed, and supervise students, volunteers, and activity aides in implementing participant activities.
5.Serving as a designee in the absence of the Healthcare Coordinator and the Director of ADS when assigned.
6.Functioning as the overseer and manager of activities assistant, graduate students, and student and non-student volunteers. Handle all scheduling and supervision of these positions.
7.Ensuring the overall atmosphere and environment remain calm and therapeutic to the benefit of the participants.
Supervision of planning and implementation of therapeutic program offerings to assure the needs of participants and families are being met:
- Assess the therapeutic needs of each center participant and participate in the development of comprehensive and individualized service plans as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
- Evaluate participants’ responses to the therapeutic program and make changes in the plans of care with the team members in a timely fashion.
- Assure an appropriate mix of social, recreational, and therapeutic activities, including intergenerational opportunities are provided weekly to center participants.
- Complete required documentation.
Supervision and training for service delivery at ADS and community:
Research and development of standards:
- Train staff, students, and other long term care professionals on how to implement therapeutic programming developed through research or experienced service delivery to frail older adults.
- Guest lecture and conduct classroom and community-based trainings on recreational and therapeutic activities for frail older adults.
- Assist Director of ADS in supervision of students at ADS; schedule and supervise volunteers, including Service Learning, Field Study and other students for therapeutic assignments.
- Schedule and supervise activity assistants.
- Disseminate research-based best practices via conferences and trainings for professional practitioners in the field of long term care for older adults.
Operation and administration of Adult Day Services center:
- Plan and implement specialized small group therapeutic programming that tests and adds to the domain of knowledge in service delivery.
- Design, plan and implement research relevant to therapeutic programming for frail older adults.
- Assist ADS Director of Research in design and implementation of research opportunities in ADS.
- Interface with research faculty and students in the planning and implementation of research programs, both in the Department of Human Development and Family Science and faculty in other VT departments as well as other academic institutions.
- Assist in delivering direct care services to participants at ADS as needed.
- Serve as Director designee in the absence of the Director and Health Coordinator for purposes of interface with outside contacts and supervision of staff and students.
- Manage in a team environment.
Other duties as assigned
Master’s degree in a human services or similar field.
One year of related experience which may include work in an acute care hospital, rehabilitation hospital, nursing home or have completed a course of study including any prescribed internship in a field such as: occupational, physical, and recreational therapy or music, dance, art therapy, or physical education.
Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in recreational therapy, music therapy, or another related field.
Two years experience working with older adults.
Two years experience working with college students.
Teaching or instructional experience.
Experience with human subjects research.
Skills with managing people.
Experience developing & implementing therapeutic programming.
Knowledge of community-based health and human services.
Certification as a Recreation Therapist, Music Therapist, Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Art Therapist or other related field such as dance or physical education.
Must have a criminal background check Must have a conviction check? Yes Describe Other: Employment Comments: How to Apply for this Job:
Qualified applicants must electronically submit online application, cover letter, resume/curriculum vitae, and list of 3 professional references to jobs.vt.edu. Apply to posting #
TR0180090. Applicant screening will continue until the position is filled. Virginia Tech is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities.
Instructional/Research Faculty Appointment Type: Regular If restricted or temporary, enter end date: FLSA Status: Exempt: Not eligible for overtime Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track Academic Year or Calendar Year? Calendar Year Percent Employment: Full-time If part time, enter Percent Time: Pay Range: commensurate with experience Department: Adult Day Care Work Location: Blacksburg Location, if not Blacksburg: Location Zip Code: 24061 Job Posting Date: 08/16/2018 Review Begin Date: 09/13/2018 Job Close Date: (if applicable) Restricted to university employees only? Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.