Grow with Us! USDTL is currently growing at a rapid pace and forensic toxicology testing is an exciting and expanding field. We provide a work environment that promotes positive reinforcement, teamwork, open communication and professionalism. To join our team is to become part of a bigger mission to Protect and Enrich Lives.
USDTL is a privately held global leader in forensic toxicology testing of drug and alcohol exposed newborns and mothers, as well as other at-risk populations. We service hospitals, child protection agencies, the Department of Defense, legal services, businesses, and more. USDTL prides itself on cutting edge research. We are the laboratory of choice for umbilical cord testing, fingernail/hair testing, and the detection of long-term alcohol biomarkers. Providing accurate results that lead to early intervention has significant benefits for children, families and communities. We seek passionate employees who will share in our mission to Protect and Enrich Lives.
Attributes our Specimen Accessioning Manager will have in order to be successful in this role:
- Purpose Driven – Move forward through intentional action-oriented behavior
- Leadership – Gets results through others, ability to lead a diverse team
- Interpersonal Skills – Works well with internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborative – Coachable, engage others to accomplish goals
- Positive Attitude – Open to ideas and encouraging to all staff
- Goal Oriented – Strategic, organized, focused towards the big picture
- High Energy – Able to multitask, open to change
- Proactive Problem Solver – Anticipate potential issues and innovate to resolve problems
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Management of approximately 20-25 Specimen Accessioning Technicians and 3 Supervisors in a fast-paced, accuracy-dependent environment. Supervision of and leadership in optimizing non-technical laboratory processes in the Receiving Department. Modules managed include: accessioning, order entry, and specimen storage.
- Manage the hiring and performance evaluations of Specimen Accessioning Technicians and Receiving Supervisors (staff works Monday through Saturday 1st shift).
- Uphold rapid turn-around times of specimen samples by effectively managing staff and utilizing resources while maintaining high standards of accuracy.
- Encourage professional growth of employees by actively promoting participation in company continuing education and networking events.
- Train all levels of employees in departmental processes and procedures.
- Sustain close and effective communications within the Specimen Accessioning Department and across the entire Laboratory System.
- Work closely with Supervisors and Laboratory Management to resolve problems and support production needs.
- Ensure departmental compliance with laboratory regulations and safety standards.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge through continuing education.
- Manage laboratory supplies and reagents pertinent to the area.
This position reports to the Laboratory Director. Schedule generally includes 1st shift, Monday-Friday hours, but may vary to ensure effective communication and supervision of all shifts. This is a salaried, exempt position and includes some work on weekend days and nights as needed. Manager is expected to be on-call for emergencies and issues as they arise within their department.
Laboratory positions generally involve handling of biohazardous materials and chemicals. Specimens received include, but are not limited to, hair, urine, blood, fingernails, meconium and umbilical cord.
- BA/BS in an applicable area of study (proof of education will be required upon hire)
- Six or more years of work experience
- Two or more years of experience in a supervisory or leadership role
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Successful candidate must be detail-oriented, organized, and dependable
- Experience in Laboratory and/or production management
- Experience training and mentoring a variety of employee work levels
Our mission to protect and enrich lives, and the nature of our business as a drug testing laboratory, makes the work of USDTL, Inc. critically important at all times. We have been defined as an essential business, and we look forward to working with employees who are dedicated to and passionate about our mission.
USDTL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Des Plaines, IL 60018: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- work: 6 years (Required)
- management/supervisory/leadership: 2 years (Required)
Work Location: One location