Abt Associates seeks a Client Account Leader to lead the overall strategy and vision for expanding Abt’s Energy, Infrastructure and Natural Resources (EINR) portfolio. The CAL/EINR role is high visibility and high impact the CAL/EINR will work directly w/ the Vice President, ENR to identify key growth opportunities and to help build on and accelerate the exciting recent growth the firm is experiencing in the public sector environment and climate markets. The CAL/EINR will leverage their experience in growing and operating business practices/lines for similar professional services firms primarily serving public sector clients.
The CAL/EINR leverages all of Abt’s relevant capabilities to deliver solutions that match client priorities. In driving mission-focused, financial growth, this position is responsible for developing new and cultivating existing relationships through interactions on existing and future projects. This role develops and executes the client account plan and is responsible for growing Abt’s footprint through client relationship development, project delivery oversight, and P&L management, including achieving targets for sales, revenue and profit. The Client Account Lead role manages client satisfaction, matrixed teams, and project health and represents Abt externally at key conferences and industry events that are relevant to clients within the client IENR Account.
The CAL/EINR is responsible for disseminating client priorities to key internal stakeholders, such as horizontal capability leaders and business development staff, to inform capability roadmaps, prototypes, proofs of concept, Marketing and Communications (MarComm) campaigns, and talent acquisition and development strategies. The Client Account Leader’s communication and collaboration with internal stakeholders are key to ensuring that all of Abt is focused on client priorities.
The CAL/EINR reports directly to the Abt’s VP and managing director of Abt’s Environment and Natural Resources Portfolio. The EINR Account is one of two in the ENR Portfolio. The other Account is the US Environmental Protection Agency, representing slightly over half of ENR annual revenues. The EINR Account represents the remainder of the ENR portfolio, but one with the broadest potential for growth, long-term. This account represents a wide range of work in natural resource damage assessment and restoration, state and tribal natural resources technical support, navigation, policy, and technology support of the US Army Corps of Engineers’ Institute for Water Resources (USACE/IWR).
The CAL/EINR is also responsible for exploring work in emerging Abt markets in order to drive ENR portfolio diversification. This would include pursuit of opportunities in agencies like US Department of Transportation (DOT) and US Department of Energy (DOE), US Department of Agriculture (USDA), US Department of the Interior (DOI), US Department of Commerce’s National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and US Department of Homeland Security. It is expected that the CAL/EINR will drive expansion into these new markets and take full advantage of spending bills focused on climate, environmental protection, environmental justice and infrastructure investments at all levels of government.
The CAL/EINR manages project leaders and account-aligned senior experts, and their team is responsible for the cross-functional matrixed management of project delivery and technical staff. The Client Account Lead drives growth through cultivating client relationships, establishing new business opportunities, overseeing project health, and driving all of Abt’s core capabilities/offerings (research, monitoring, & evaluation; technical assistance and implementation; digital and data services; and equity) into the EINR Account, to meet current and out-year financial revenue and sales targets, thus positioning Abt for expanded mission impact.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Drive growth of the EINR Account with particular focus on US public sector markets.
- Develops and executes the client account plan and develops and implements a growth strategy for the account.
- Stay current on market trends to identify new market opportunities and refine Abt’s understanding of the size and attractiveness of those markets and opportunities.
- Drive growth of EINR pipeline to a volume that supports near- and long-term growth targets, especially capitalizing on increased federal executive branch spending in areas such as climate, energy efficiency, infrastructure and environmental justice
- Consistently and frequently disseminates client intelligence, priorities, satisfaction or dissatisfaction to ensure internal stakeholders are developing and executing on solution roadmaps geared towards solutions, project and technical delivery that leads to achieving and exceeding financial and mission objectives centered around client priorities.
- Executes client call campaigns, attends in person client meetings, and develops and maintains relationships with current and new client decision makers.
- Develops and expands client relationships through advisory interactions and thought leadership.
- Support the VP/ENR in building a culture of customer-centric focus and understanding the voice of the customer, unmet client needs, and solution development, creating demand where Abt can have a meaningful impact on customer mission.
- Identify and develop relationships with opportunity-specific teaming partners; also identify small and large business partners to invade new markets
- Attends key conferences and industry events that are relevant to the client.
- Contribute to strategy execution and operational excellence through direct participation as a member of ENR Portfolio senior leadership team of this business line.
- Supports annual strategic, operational, and account-level planning and monthly/quarterly account reviews; drive achievement of ENR and account-level annual sales goals
- Responsible for meeting or exceeding financial targets in the areas of sales, revenue, contract profit and contract margin and develops and executes plans to correct variances in metrics.
- Develops accurate quarterly financial forecasts for the account and develops and executes plans to correct any variances from the account’s yearly financial plan.
- Manages project management professionals who have responsibility and accountability for project execution and for leveraging matrixed capabilities to maximize client satisfaction, quality of delivery and business growth. Ensure the team meets project delivery commitments – mission, scope, schedule, deliverable quality- and client expectations.
- Leverage experience gained with other organizations in supporting improvements in client program and project delivery and making recommendations on adapting our offerings to changes in market and customer demand
- Provide excellent project delivery to drive customer satisfaction by mentoring and coaching others in all aspects of project management and service delivery; help solve delivery issues
- and manage executive check-ins w/ our customers to explore opportunities for improving our delivery to meet unmet needs.
- Attends regular management meetings with Portfolio leadership to discuss sales/delivery activity, risks, etc.
- Fosters an environment to elevate and support Abt’s Vision, Mission, Values and Culture and Strategic Priorities.
- Models and reinforces throughout the account Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility.
- 10+ years of progressive experience in client relationship management, technical professional services delivery, and project management in professional services and government or government contracting.
- Experience working with key public sector clients serving the infrastructure and environment markets (EPA, DOE, USDOI, NOAA, DOT, USDA, USACE, etc) for 5+ years.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or discipline.
- Prior experience successfully managing accounts that generated $10-15M in annual sales and $5-10M in annual revenue and a proven track record of meeting and exceeding financial goals.
- Deep familiarity with how the US federal government conducts business, along with experience throughout the federal sales cycle to position, win, and grow business.
- Deep familiarity with one or more of the following: Research, Monitoring, and Evaluation; Technical Assistance and Implementation; Digital and Data Services; or Equity.
- Proven track record of management and leadership, including project leadership, and prior experience managing large projects.
- Strong collaborator with a history of maintaining successful relationships internally and externally. Prior experience working in highly collaborative, matrixed environments is desired.
- Strong ability to bring a blend of business development and operations leadership capabilities to the team.
- Skilled in professional/career development of all members of your team and comfortable providing constructive feedback.
- Passion for Abt’s mission of improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide.
- Commitment to building an equitable, diverse, and inclusive culture at Abt and incorporating an equity lens into the (insert client account) account.
Bachelor’s Degree + Fifteen years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Twelve years of relevant experience, or PhD + Ten years of relevant experience
This position offers an anticipated annual base salary range of approximately $139,021.29 to $222,434.06 and may vary by ten percent depending on candidate geographic location. Salary offers are made based on internal equity and market analysis.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.