Job Posting End Date: 05/31
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 33 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
Job Profile Summary
This position has responsibility for implementing and managing the planning and logistical support for Colonial Life meetings and events, including Leadership Development Conference (400 attendees ), President’s Club and Leaders Conference (approx. 600 attendees ), training meetings, broker roundtables (approx. 130 attendees ), customer visits, premier group meetings, contests and other requested meetings, as well as recognition programs, qualifications for and publishing of standings for incentive programs. This individual will be required to play the lead role for specific meetings, as well as act in a support staff role for other meetings based on business need. This role collaborates with business partners at all levels (including senior management) to determine business meeting objectives, expectations and budget allocations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively manage or provide support to team members on the planning and logistics for Colonial Life meetings and events based on corporate and department standards, guidelines and principles. This includes managing onsite operations for conferences/events in coordination with contracted vendors.
- Collaborate with business partners across the organization to plan, organize and implement excellent meetings and events.
- Effectively plan and manage initiatives to assure satisfactory results and delivery within established deadlines at an appropriate cost.
- Directly manage business owners’ relationships and deliver consistently and effective communications to business owners, vendors and conference attendees to confirm accuracy and ensure they are presented within our corporate standards.
- Clearly communicate with business partners and planning team members on project plans, creative and execution strategy, and project status.
- Assignments to include the role of lead planner as well as support staff depending on business need.
- Maintain efficient tracking of all expenses and prepare tax reporting for all incentives programs.
- Effectively manage a timely recognition program for the Colonial Life sales force.
- Travel is required.
- Performs all responsibilities within budget and with assigned resources.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- 4+ years of meeting and planning experience in the context of a results-oriented environment
- Excellent organizational, time management, logistical planning and execution skills are essential
- Ability to work with and communicate professionally and thoroughly with individuals at all levels within the company
- Strong project management and strategic thinking skills
- High ability to work independently with limited supervision
- High level of initiative and a self starter with exceptional human relations skills
- Demonstrated ability to create partnerships across functions and locations
- Meeting planning experience in the context of a self-directed, results-oriented environment
- Four-year college degree in event planning, hospitality, marketing or equivalent work experience
- CMP designation
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.