The Staff Accountant applies principles of both STAT and GAAP accounting to prepare financial reports and to analyze financial information.
- Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare entries to accounts, such as general ledger accounts, documenting business transactions.
- Possesses a strong understanding of earned premium, assumed premium, and ceded premium and how to record on the financial statements.
- Prepares NAIC quarterly and annual filings
- Prepares reinsurance settlement statements
- Calculates and files quarterly Premium Tax due to various states within which we are licensed.
- Distributes expenditures, encumbrances, receipts, and receivables according to schedules.
- Performs statistical analyses to determine trends, estimates, and significant changes, and writes narrative reports explaining findings.
- Performs variance and ratio analysis and presents results to upper management.
- Performs detailed reconciliation for both cash accounts and intercompany loan accounts to ensure that both sides of each area balance on the accounting system. Determines cash needs for Single Business Units (SBU’s). Performs bank reconciliations and set up ACH for expenditures.
- Analyzes financial information detailing assets, liabilities, and capital, and prepares balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports to summarize and interpret current and projected company financial position for other managers.
- Audits contracts, orders, and vouchers, and prepares reports to substantiate individual transactions prior to settlement.
- Determines proper handling of financial transactions and approves transactions within designated limits.
- Monitors compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP), and company procedures.
- Reviews, investigates, and corrects errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, and reports.
- Installs, modifies, documents, and coordinates implementation of accounting systems and accounting control procedures.
- Devises and implements system for general accounting. Consistently looks for ways to improve processes, automating where possible.
- Designs and maintains pro formas for current and proposed contracts to determine pricing and profitability.
- Makes recommendations regarding the accounting of reserves, assets, and expenditures.
- Conducts studies and submits recommendations for improving the organization's accounting operation.
- Collects appropriate data and prepares federal, state, and local reports and tax returns.
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of the Premier Family of Companies
- Maintains strict confidentiality of client, company and personnel information
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to the mission and values of the organization
- Adheres to company attendance standards
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Detail oriented
- Ability to multi-task and work independently
- Task oriented and deadline driven
Education and/or Experience:
- At least one year of accounting experience preferred
- Insurance industry experience preferred
- Experience with both STAT and GAAP accounting is preferred
A Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting is required.
LOMA or other insurance industry designation is a plus
$5,000 Sign on bonus
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Advanced knowledge of Excel required. Experience in QuickBooks preferred.
Environmental Factors/Physical Demands:
Work is performed in an office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to have the ability to maintain active customer and employee communication; access, input and retrieve information from the computer system; enter alpha-numeric data into a computerized system often while listening on the telephone. May be subject to repetitive motion such as typing, data entry and vision to monitor. May be subject to bending, reaching, kneeling, stooping and lifting up to thirty (30) pounds.