- 3+ years of non-internship, professional software development experience in Python, Java or another high-level programming language using object-oriented practices.
- 2+ years of experience with distributed systems
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 1+ years of experience in Linux support engineering, operations, maintenance, and process improvement and automation
- Strong ownership, urgency, and drive to fix customer issues
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work well in a team
- Strong debugging and systems analysis skills to be able to identify and quickly resolve/mitigate issues
- Able to dive into deep technical design discussions, summarize complex trade-offs and options, and make data-driven recommendations
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
- Position Location: Herndon, VA
- This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
One of the world’s highest scale storage platforms is currently looking for a SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER WITH AN OBSESSION FOR AUTOMATION. Is this you? How can you tell? You’re fascinated with how software applications, their developers and their operators interact to deliver the world-class Amazon Web Services (AWS) S3 storage service. You have a long history of asking “What if we do it this way?” and proposing “I could develop a fix for this!” You love working directly with people to diagnose their needs, deliver a solution, and watch it solve their problems. You believe in a full-lifecycle, DevOps-based, software development process that delivers well-designed, tested, and resilient solutions. Your professional pride is deeply wounded any time a customer discovers a bug or your solution doesn’t work for them. You’re happiest working with a team of world-class engineers that are always learning and sharing new skills and techniques.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is one of Amazon’s fastest growing businesses. It services millions of customers in more than 190 countries and powers the developers who are building the next generation of global industry leaders. AWS runs a globally distributed environment, operating at massive levels of scale. Businesses, from startups to enterprises, run their operations and applications on AWS’s multi-tenant infrastructure. Each day, millions of developers execute billions of transactions worldwide on the AWS Cloud.
Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) is storage for the Internet. Through the use of pioneering techniques in distributed computing, developers are able to durably store their data on Amazon’s proven computing infrastructure to achieve virtually limitless storage capacity at minimal cost. S3 sets the standard for functionality, cost, and performance for storage in the cloud. With trillions of objects under management, we’re one of the most successful services anywhere. But, we’re not resting on our laurels… it’s still the early days for cloud computing, and there are boundless opportunities to continue to redefine the world of storage.
S3 Unique Regions group is responsible for S3 service in AWS regions beyond the regular public service offerings. These Unique Regions include private regions operated for the U.S. government with stringent security requirements. The group is responsible for operating the S3 service, keeping it up-to-date with pubic service features, and meeting security and architecture requirements of each unique region.
As a Systems Development Engineer in the S3 Unique Regions organization, you will:
- Work with S3 engineers to identify process automation opportunities.
- Perform full-lifecycle software development with constant customer interaction to scope, design, implement, test, deliver, and operate software solutions.
- Work in the Solutions team using a DevOps, Agile Scrum, incremental delivery philosophy with highly-supportive peers constantly sharing subject matter expertise and producing peer-reviewed code.
- Participate in on-call rotation supporting our own automation solutions and eventually move to the on-call rotation that operates the S3 service itself in unique regions.
- Experience with distributed systems development
- Experience with distributed operational monitoring and troubleshooting
- Experience with Agile Scrum
- Development knowledge of AWS services including: EC2, EBS, S3, VPC, Lambda, and DynamoDB
- Experience with mission critical, 24x7 systems
- Graduate degree or significant professional development in a relevant field of study
Want to learn more? You can reach out to Aria Straus (email@example.com) with any questions.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age