We are currently seeking a Program Counselor to work 2-4 days a week (14 -28 hrs/week) from August to December.Reporting directly to the Chief Program Officer (CPO)/Director of the Legacy Network, the Program Counselor will work with Program Coordinator to successfully manage the youth development programs.
- Plan, implement and facilitate quality programs for high school students in youth development, tutoring, test prep, college readiness and career preparation
- Co-plan summer internship program for high school and college students with Program Coordinator. Develop and facilitate work readiness training, conduct site visits and maintain communication with site supervisors to ensure mutually beneficial experiences.
- Provide one-on-one college and career support to high school juniors and seniors, including helping with college and scholarship research, completing applications, editing/reviewing essays, financial aid, internship and job searches, resume writing, and interview preparation.
- Plan and facilitate corporate mentoring program focus on college and career exploration. This includes recruiting, screening and training adult volunteers, recruiting and orienting student participants, matching adult volunteers to student participants, supervising mentoring relationships, and planning match activities.
- Work with CPO to ensure accurate and timely reporting of program activities, outcomes and impact.
- Track and monitor program expenses.
- Handle other duties as assigned.
- MA/MS in Counseling, Education, Psychology, Social Work or related fields preferred
- Experience working with high school aged students required
- Experience with program planning, implementation, and workshop facilitation
- Knowledge of the college process, CUNY and SUNY systems and opportunity programs
- Self-starter with the ability to work efficiently with limited supervision
- Flexible, resourceful and "roll up your sleeves" attitude
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Great oral and written communication
- Strong ability to develop and nurture relationships
- Enthusiasm and passion for working with youth and young adults from diverse backgrounds
- Strong attention to detail
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus
- This is a part-time temporary position (mostly evening hours). Summer Fridays are required.
The Beginning with Children Alumni Legacy Network helps high school students in the most high need districts of Brooklyn succeed in high school, get into great colleges and pursue successful careers. The program offers comprehensive high school and college preparatory services including tutoring, mentoring, character education, and college and career preparation.
Over 200 students participate annually from grades 6 through college. Participants of the Legacy Network have historically achieved a four-year high school graduation rate of over 90%, compared to citywide rate of 64%, and college acceptance rate of over 95%.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary
Salary: $25.00 to $35.00 /hour