We are currently looking for a Plant Manager II for our Louisville, KY plant.
This business unit manager is responsible for safely producing standard precast concrete structures for the drainage products industry and specialty concrete structures for a variety of applications. The person in this position must excel at producing quality products with optimum efficiency in order to achieve customer satisfaction and profitability targets.
Forterra is a leading manufacturer of pipe and products in the U.S. and Eastern Canada for a variety of water-related infrastructure applications, including water transmission, distribution and drainage. The company generated pro forma net sales of $1.5 billion in 2017. Based in Irving, Texas, Forterra employs more than 5,000 people and operates more than 88 facilities, with products available throughout the U.S. and Eastern Canada.
Safety - Provide an environment and processes that optimize safety and preserves the well-being of every employee at the plant.
- Ensure Forterra’s regulatory safety standards are understood and followed by all employees.
- Ensure safety equipment is in sufficient supply and working properly.
- Ensure safety audits occur and that deviations are followed up and resolved.
- Ensure robust accident investigation process occurs.
- Ensure maintenance on equipment and facilities occurs as required and needed.
- Ensure the plant is clean and organized to promote safe and efficient operations.
Operations - Ensure the plant operates cost effectively within customer product expectations and Forterra’s operating procedures and quality standards.
- Ensure daily work in the plant is completed to achieve the job specifications and time requirements.
- Ensure Forterra’s operations and quality standards are being consistently met throughout the plant.
- Compress cycle times, lead times, and changeover times within areas in the plant to minimize waste.
- Provide and execute a process for correcting and solving problems and improving existing methods in the plant.
Scheduling - Ensure the employees, materials and equipment are sufficient to accomplish the plants scheduled work.
- Ensure each work area is properly staffed, with competent people, for the scheduled work
- Ensure required material is available for the scheduled production work.
- Ensure the equipment is being maintained and maximum up-time is achieved.
- Ensure every Supervisor or Lead understands the work schedule and responsibilities for their respected area.
- Maintain a system of open communication with Supervisors or Lead employees.
Performance Management - Provide leadership and create a positive work environment. These responsibilities will be carried out in accordance with the company’s policies and procedures and applicable laws and regulations. Actions include employment decisions, performance management, training, safety, onboarding, compliance, annual objective setting and employee development, planning, assigning and directing work, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Administration - Provide data analysis and feedback to work areas that will improve execution within the plant.
- Provide a visual reporting system to communicate work area performance.
- Ensure company/operations information is clearly communicated to employees.
- Follow-through to ensure reports and information are understood and used for those requesting/needing the data.
- Maintain competence in Forterra’s business systems (Syteline, Dispatch App, Reports Module, Microsoft Software, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 5 plus years’ experience successfully managing a manufacturing plant or work center of equal or greater size in the concrete or similar industry.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to present oneself and communicate in a professional, positive, and courteous manner while managing internal and external relationships.
- Strong knowledge of production management in the concrete industry or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of large machine operation, construction of infrastructure, and shipping and fulfillment.
- Specific knowledge in a manufacturing or technical field.
- Able to work hours beyond the normal workday as required by the business cycle, customer volume of business, and specific sales efforts underway. It has a moderate demand for tight deadlines.
- Emotional Intelligence – Must be self-aware, have strong interpersonal skills, be adaptable, and able to collaborate with all levels from production employees to management level.
- Results Oriented – Have sound planning skills, know how to execute against respective action plans, and regularly meet or exceed targets in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Have a valid drivers’ license and the ability to travel 5-10 percent of the time to other locations and/or meetings.
Forterra is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to workplace diversity. M/F/D/V – Forterra is a Drug Free Workplace.
Job Type: Full-time
- Plant Management: 5 years