Welcome to the University of North Texas System, or UNT World as we like to call ourselves. UNT World includes the University of North Texas in Denton, the University of North Texas at Dallas and the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth. We are the only university system based exclusively in the robust Dallas-Fort Worth region and we are committed to transforming lives and creating economic opportunity through education. Over the past decade, combined UNTS enrollment has grown by more than 25 percent to nearly 44,000 students.
Posting Title Director Community Youth Development (75210/75215)
Department DAL-School of Human Services-519000
Job Location Dallas
Full Time/Part Time
Salary Information Salary commensurate with experience
The Community Youth Development program provides an array of services such as mentoring, youth leadership development, and after-school programs to promote protective factors in youth and prevent negative outcomes such as juvenile delinquency. The CYD – Rising Blazers Program at the University of North Texas at Dallas will provide Mental Health, Academic, and Social/ Emotional support through Community Collaborative Programming for students within the Dallas area. The Rising Blazers Programs at UNT Dallas will be integral partners with our participants, their families, local schools (public, private and charter) and our service providers to identify, advise and ultimately guide them to resolutions to the issues students which impact their Social, Emotional and/or Academic lives. The goal is to provide a Vision, Framework, and Holistic Plan for each student to attain their High School Diploma and Collegiate Degree in order to become active participants of our society.
The COMMUNITY YOUTH DEVELOPMENT (CYD) – RISING BLAZERS Director is a grant-funded position and is a key member of the School of Human Services and will have the primary responsibility of overseeing the CYD Grant. The Community Youth Development Grant provides an array of services such as mentoring, youth leadership development, and after-school programs to promote protective factors in youth and prevent negative outcomes such as juvenile delinquency. The Director is responsible for the overall implementation of the CYD Grant Programs to include but is not limited to: daily operations, hiring and supervision of staff, budget oversight, external partners, educational program development (mentor/ mentee support, tutorials, courses, field trips, conferences, etc.). Additionally, the CYD Director is expected to prepare monthly and/ or annual institutional and state reports, and work with key personnel at the University and the community to identify potential students.
Master’s Degree in education, counseling, social work, public administration or related field from an accredited college or university and five years of experience with Youth Development Programs, Academic Support Programs, or similar project/programs for disadvantaged students
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Formal training and/or work experience in programming that improves academic performance as measured by grade point averages.
- Formal training and/or work experience in programming that improves academic performance on standardized tests.
- Formal training and/or work experience in programming that improves secondary school retention/graduation rates.
- Formal training and/or work experience promoting the completion of a rigorous secondary school program of study.
- Formal training and/or work experience increasing postsecondary enrollment rates.
- Formal training promoting college degree attainment rates for low-income and potential first-generation college students.
- Knowledge of services that include: academic advising, career, financial aid, and economic literacy programming for low-income and disadvantaged students.
- development of individualized service plans
- Knowledge of principles and practices of administrative organization and management
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, local, rules and regulations
- Ability to develop budgets and monitor expenditures
- Knowledge of basic computers skills including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to collect and analyze data and conduct internal Project evaluations (formative and summative)
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing; ability to provide professional leadership and establish effective working relationships
- Knowledge of barriers to postsecondary education faced by low income and potential first generation college youth in the target area.
Required License / Registration / Certification
Monday – Friday
Driving University Vehicle No
Security Sensitive This is a security sensitive position.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
Classification Title Dir. Comm Youth Development
Physical Requirements Carrying, Driving, Lifting up to 10 pounds, Pulling , Pushing, Reaching, Sitting, Standing, Walking, Writing, Talk or Hear
Assume primary responsibility for short and long-term strategic planning, implementation, administration, and evaluation of the Community Youth Development – Rising Blazers Program.
Manage daily operations of the Community Youth Development – Rising Blazers Program.
Recruit, retain and communicate with students the expectations and considerations of the
Community Youth Development – Rising Blazers Program with the Program Manager.
Create and implement educational programs to assist students in preparation for their current Middle, High School and Undergraduate education that include but are not limited to: academic advising, tutoring, mental health, financial aid, financial literacy, career services, etc.
Work closely with the Office of Student Access and Success for programs related to financial
aid, academic advising, and career services.
Create and coordinate a tutorial program for Community Youth Development – Rising Blazers Program.
Meet with Rising Blazers and the Service Providers regularly to monitor the implementation of Rising Blazers Academic Initiatives and Monitor Student Development.
Evaluate and assess the Community Youth Development – Rising Blazers Program.
Work with Principal Investigators and the UNT Dallas Executive Leadership to develop and
implement the CYD budget.
Select, train and supervise Community Youth Development – Rising Blazers Program Staff and Service Providers.
Prepare and Discuss Monthly and Annual Institutional and State reports with Principal
Maintain compliance with UNT Dallas policies and procedures as well as State and Federal regulations.
Track statistics, gather data and create the appropriate reports for the Institutional, State, and Federal Guidelines.
Posting Number S827P
Position End Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants