Job Title: Occupational Therapist
Reports to: Director of Special Services
Dept./School: Special Education
Wage/Hour Status: Exempt
Pay Grade: ADM PG 3 / 34 day position
Minimum daily rate: $288.83
Primary Purpose: Plan and provide therapy to students with mental, physical, or emotional disabilities. Assess students and provide therapeutic intervention to maximize physical or mental functioning, increase independent functioning, and/or adjust to disabilities. OT for one day a week and supervise OT Assistant (COTA).
Master’s degree in occupational therapy or related program
Valid Texas license as an occupational therapist granted by the Texas Board of Occupational Therapy Examiners
Knowledge of rehabilitation procedures, activities, and equipment used in occupational therapy
Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
One year experience as an occupational therapistMajor Responsibilities and Duties: Therapy
1.Plan and provide direct and consultative services consistent with occupational therapy goals contained in students’ Individual Education Plans (IEP). Evaluate student progress and make recommendations regarding occupational therapy services.
2. Design, construct, alter, and provide students with adaptive equipment and devices to promote maximum
3. Assess students with disabilities and determine eligibility for services
4. Maintain continual observation on progress of goals//objectives note and provide progress report every six weeks to parent/guardian.
5. Provide staff development training in assigned school as requested. Conduct one-on-one consultation with teachers, parents, and others to assist with selection and use of adaptive equipment and material that will enhance student learning and understanding of occupational therapy program.
6. Create an environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the maturity level, interests, and needs of the student.
7. Establish control and administer discipline according to the Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
8. Participate in the Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee to assist with the interpretation of assessment data, appropriate placement, and goal setting for students according to district procedures.
9. Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of the occupational therapy program and implement changes based on the findings.
10. Assist in the selection of equipment and adaptive material.
11. Develop and maintain effective individual and group relationships with students and parents.
12. Maintain all required district documentation (session notes, attendance logs, make-up logs) and submit all forms to Director of Special Services within established timelines.
13. Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records and other documents required.
14. Comply with policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy.
15. Comply with all district and campus routines and regulations.
16. Effectively communicate with colleagues, students, and parents.
17. Participate in professional development activities to improve skills related to job assignment.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervise OT Assistant (COTA).
Working Conditions: Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Special needs adaptive equipment; standard office equipment including computer and peripherals
Posture: Frequent standing, sitting, kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing, pulling, and twisting
Motion: Frequent walking, grasping/squeezing, wrist flexion/extension
Lifting: Regular heavy lifting (45 pounds or more) and position of students with physical disabilities; controlling behavior through physical restraint, assisting non-ambulatory students
Environment: Exposure to biological hazards, bacteria, and communicable diseases; may require districtwide travel
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress
THE JOSHUA INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Job Type: Part-time