- 10+ years of experience in technical leadership roles; technical business development, technical program management, data center design/engineering, or systems engineering/architecture.
- 7+ years of project management experience and demonstrated knowledge of program management best practices
- Experience creating and managing profit and loss (P&L) statements.
- Experience building short and long range plans of record inclusive of schedule and budget.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent professional experience.
Does being a part of the ongoing innovations in space-earth communications excite you? How about learning how to integrate these capabilities with the cloud? The Amazon Web Services Ground Station Infrastructure Planning Team is continuously evaluating, analyzing, designing, optimizing and launching new ground station deployments around the world to provide highly reliable, scalable, low-cost services to our Ground Station customers. Our team is seeking talented, bright, and driven people who want to learn quickly, adapt to changing customer demands and innovate solutions. If you enjoy innovating new solutions to reduce cost, improve infrastructure designs, optimize deployment methodologies and drive process efficiencies, we’d like to speak with you. Ideal candidates should have strong program management, technical business development, IT infrastructure, data center design/operations, and/or solutions architecture experience. Experience planning and executing ground station deployments would be a big bonus!
Our team is part of the AWS Infrastructure Strategy and Planning team which defines the launch and build strategy for new infrastructure deployments, worldwide. Our team is constantly evaluating opportunities to reduce cost, improve performance, expedite delivery and optimize our processes and controls to deliver the best product and experience for our customers. This role is responsible for developing plans of record for short and long range Ground Station global deployments. This includes planning, scheduling and budgeting for site identification, land acquisition, infrastructure design, construction, physical security implementation, import/export, antenna procurement and installation and expansion planning. We expect the candidate to drive innovation into our Ground Station programs to reduce cost, improve efficiencies and deliver at scale. The role will also be responsible for monitoring and controlling annual budgets, reporting on planning status and working with delivery teams to continuously improve our processes and mechanisms. You will also aggregate and perform knowledge management functions over technical design constraints, delivery schedules, cost drivers and service level agreement (SLA) definitions to inform our stakeholders. You will be expected to know, learn and act as a technical leader for all aspects of our design and delivery phases including design/construction/operations, network design/build/operations, antenna procurement/supply chain, capacity planning and Ground Station service offerings. You will assess risks, anticipate issues, overcome technical obstacles, make difficult trade-off decisions, and balance business needs and technical constraints.
This is a great chance to learn how AWS designs, builds, launches and operates its Ground Station service as well as our worldwide AWS infrastructure while leveraging your technical business development and program management experience to drive innovation through continuous process improvement and the design of new offerings. This positions will routinely be called upon to brief senior leadership at the director, VP and SVP levels on program status and will be an integral part in our short and long term growth strategies.
In this position, you will work across teams to gain alignment, develop, and execute a common plan across multiple stakeholders. This requires working effectively with global business owners at all levels in sales, services teams, public policy, infrastructure, networking and other AWS and Amazon teams to ensure the delivery and execution of projects. Cross-team coordination, project management, and excellent communication skills are essential. Your key goals will include:
- Deliver solutions for the short and long range deployment roadmap – generate deployment options for our short and long range global deployment roadmap by understanding Ground Station service requirements, identifying viable sites, working with design teams to generate site level plans and budgets.
- Provide program management and define project plans - manage planning, scheduling and budgeting activities, and develop processes, documentation and communications including knowledge management and status reports.
- Scale services and tools – design processes and procedures that scale with the business’ growth in volume, complexity, and global geographic dispersion.
- Define key performance indicators – develop metrics and service level agreements for core programs and processes, and track delivery against program objectives.
- Communicate new/updated programs, policies, and processes to leaders, employees, and cross functional organizations.
- Experience planning and executing remote ground station installations.
- Comfort and experience with cross-organizational communication; excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with the product management lifecycle: gathering requirements/customer inputs, design, engineering, implementation, and optimization.
- Proven experience in prioritizing and managing large scale enterprise projects using project management tools
- Demonstrated experience driving overall strategy and teams across organizations.
- Can independently identify down-stream programmatic and technical risks/opportunities (i.e. system incompatibility, resource unavailability) and escalate them to the appropriate tech resource before they become project threatening.
- Hands-on experience in an engineering role (e.g. Electrical/Mechanical Engineer, SW developer, NW engineer, Systems Engineer)
- Masters in Business Administration (MBA)
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.