To manage a benefit/consignment business for the purpose of generating income to support the programs of Alliance on Aging (AoA).
The Spirals Manager oversees the general operations of this reputable high-end resale store to maximize business opportunities and sales. S/he fosters community involvement that promotes the store and the AoA wherever possible; manages all aspects of staff/volunteer recruitment, training and recognition; and ensures customer/client satisfaction. S/he implements and maintains procedures to provide smooth functioning of all daily operations including donation/consignment inventory, accounting transactions, and hardware/software performance.
- Communicate with city representatives, property manager and business neighbors regarding building rent and maintenance, and downtown event participation.
- Assist with lease negotiation and securing storage space for overflow inventory.
- Foster and expand community network of donors.
- Determine marketing needs and purchase advertising as warranted.
- Recruit, train, schedule, mediate, and provide recognition to staff and volunteers.
- Implement an annual recognition event for volunteers.
- Communicate regularly with staff/volunteers to ensure they are apprised of changes in procedures, new documentations and any staffing issues/opportunities.
- Respond to all external inquiries e.g., USPS, email and text messages
- Working with IT, proactively assess store hardware and software for condition and performance.
- Troubleshoot malfunctioning equipment, and internet issues; act as liaison with IT vendor.
- Resolve accounting errors.
- Pay invoices and disburse consignor pay-outs in a timely manner.
- Oversee annual inventory audit and provide reports to AoA Finance Director.
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and ability to describe programs and services of AoA and how Spirals fits into the mission and goals of the AoA.
- Knowledge of intake guidelines, procedures and policies of Spirals and the ability to communicate this information to volunteers, consignors and customers.
- Personnel and volunteer management skills preferred; however, demonstrated ability to lead and work with staff/volunteers in team setting sufficient.
- Capacity to recognize special talents and/or help volunteers develop new skills and provide them with incentives to encourage long-term commitment.
- Experience, patience and desire to work and mentor older adults of varying skill levels.
- Familiarity with establishing healthy boundaries with consignors and customers.
- Understand and appreciate the value of good customer relationships.
- Proficient writing skills with attention to detail, grammar and spelling.
- Competent public speaking skills.
- Computer literacy and proficiency in Word and Excel.
Operating a consignment/benefit store requires long periods of standing, walking and moving merchandise. While there should be no heavy lifting, the Manager should have the capability to lift and move objects up to 30 pounds, reach overhead and stoop down to move merchandise. The work environment is smoke and fragrance free to permit fellow staff, volunteers and customers a pleasant environment in which to work and shop. Under no condition is the Manager to require staff and/or volunteer to perform a task of which he/she is unwilling to perform. Working at Spirals is a team effort and each person is of value no matter the time they are able to commit or the skill level they have to offer. That said, there is no better or more supportive work environment than at Spirals.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 - $54,000.00 per year
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
In an effort to keep our customers & staff safe, we've installed plastic shields at cash register and limit the number of customers allowed within store at any given moment. We require face masks and we have hand sanitizer available for public use.
- volunteer management: 1 year (Preferred)
- * How many years of management experience do you have?
- How many years of Retail Sales experience do you have?
- How many years of volunteer experience do you have?
- How many years of Volunteer Management experience do you have?
Employees working per shift:
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly