At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar San Diego is on the lookout for talented Network Programmers across all levels of experience who possess a passion for games. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar's studio in Carlsbad. Whether it's the beach or mountains, San Diego is considered one of the best places to live year-round.
Working on the network team will involve a large variety of different tasks from the low-level (such as optimizing the data sent over the physical network) to the high-level (such as ensuring game objects move smoothly in network games taking packet loss and network latency into account).
Examples of some of the tasks members of the network team are typically involved in are:
- Support the synchronization of gameplay state and mechanics between players in multiplayer sessions to enable a shared gameplay experience.
- Integrate the game with various live services such as statistics tracking, friends/crew management and matchmaking.
- Implement and maintain low-level connection and network packet management systems.
- Develop, maintain, and extend current networking systems on different gaming platforms.
- Integrate online services into our titles, such as working with matchmaking systems to find optimal multiplayer sessions and connect players together.
- Synchronize game entities and gameplay state in a bandwidth efficient manner that works well over home Internet conditions.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering, Mathematics, or equivalent.
- Good C/C++ programming skills.
- Good communication skills.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Strong OO design skills.
- One released title.
- Experience working on Xbox and Sony console platforms.
- Experience working with low-level network libraries.
- Experience with Xbox and Sony platform SDKs for networking.
Please apply with a resume and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you've got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.
The pay range for this position in San Diego at the start of employment is expected to be between the range below* per year. However, base pay offered is based on market location, and may vary further depending on individualized factors for job candidates, such as job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other objective business considerations. Subject to those same considerations, the total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a bonus and/or equity awards, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an "at-will position" and the company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation or benefit program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.