DIVISION : Health System
DEPARTMENT : Physical Therapy
JOB TITLE : Staff Physical Therapist
General Definition : This position is located within the Chickasaw Nation Health System in the physical therapy department. The purpose of this position is to provide overall direction, utilization, supervision, instruction and evaluation of professional and supportive staff, volunteers and students in their area of physical therapy. Responsible for the professional physical therapy services to Native American patients and non-beneficiaries.
Supervision Received : Incumbent is under the direct supervision of the Chickasaw Nation Health System Physical Therapy Manager. Performs with considerable independence and is technically responsible for quality of all work performed.
Supervision Exercised : Use of volunteers who assist in their area, physical therapy students, Physical Therapy Assistants within their designated area.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES :
- Supervises the activities of their area of the department/facility to include patient scheduling for treatment and evaluations, use of volunteers, Physical Therapy Assistants and physical therapy students.
- Participate in continuing education opportunities provided.
- Participate in continuing education opportunities provided to keep abreast of new techniques and trends in the field of Physical Therapy.
- Actively involved in various committees, i.e. Departmental Meetings, Department Head, Discharge Planning.
- Treat all patients of all ages (i.e. infants, children, adolescents, adults, geriatrics, elderly, ages 0-120 years), race, creed, gender and disability without bias, prejudice and with respect and maintain a cooperative attitude with other employees to facilitate quality patient care.
- Responsible for maintaining inventory of materials and supplies for their area of the department.
- Responsible for the evaluation of all patients referred for physical therapy or other offered services by department. Also responsible for completion and submission of all reports pertaining to evaluation. Available for confer with person(s) most closely associated with the active management of the patient and keep them informed of any additional patient needs, treatment and modification and/or progress.
- Able to practice Physical Therapy consistent with the American Physical Therapy Association Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice and Standards of Practice Policy of the Chickasaw Nation Health System.
- Able to maintain a patient treatment schedule consistent with the needs of the department/facility.
- Able to respect and understand patient’s right to treatment and right to involve in treatment decisions.
- Must practice ethical responsibility based on the cultural, ethnic and religious beliefs of the patients served and applicable law.
- Responsible for the preparation and submission of department/facility reports, assuring confidentiality of all records to include evaluation reports/summaries, discharge reports/summaries, progress reports to referring physicians and agencies, current progress notes on all patients within their area, special reports as requested by the Manager, and daily attendance reports and summaries of same.
- Available to give talks to community groups as requested and maintain good public relations with all community sources.
- Assists in recruitment of applicants for positions and orientates new personnel to area/department/facility. Evaluates and reports at regular intervals the work of other employees or volunteers within their area of the department/facility.
- Actively involved in Performance Improvement of procedures and organization of the department/facility.
- Assists the Manager in planning of any new programs to be developed within the department/facility.
- Must keep current and adhere to policies and procedures as enumerated in the Policy and Procedures Manual of the Chickasaw Nation Health System. Assist the Manager with the revision of any procedures within the department/facility personnel as necessary.
- Actively participates and adhere to all policies and procedures as enumerated in the Risk Management Program.
- Responsible for interpreting and carrying out the prescription of the physician; good public relations; protection of the confidential data; economic use of time, equipment, supplies; safety and welfare of patients and other employees. A high degree of accuracy is required in carrying out prescriptions, in receiving and translating information, and in charting and reporting.
- Must have coordination of sight and body movements in various applications of procedures, techniques of assisting and handling patients, ability to handle tools and machines of the profession.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS : Must have good physical stamina in this department/facility; fairly strong, energetic, much walking, standing, writing, stooping, carrying, talking, seeing, bending, handling, color vision, speed; healthy back is necessary; able to be on feet most of the day.
HAZARDS : No unusual hazard risks. May be exposed to muscular strain in supporting, lifting and assisting patients. Conditions of work may involve exposure to communicable diseases and on the job injuries.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities : Must be able to work independently with little or no supervision. Must possess a minimal understanding of special populations, including sensitivity to the Native American culture. Must be thoughtful of others, gentle, courteous, patient, neat, well-groomed, healthy, friendly, above average intelligence, good memory and tactful. Should have ability to organize his/her time in order to treat the maximum number of patients within the allotted working day. Able to motivate others. Have initiative and good judgement, flexibility, enthusiasm and thoroughness. Ability to conduct self with professional dignity, be pleasant at all times and tactful. Must know the principles and practice of Physical Therapy and be familiar with the American Physical Therapy Association Code of Ethics.
Training and Experience : Graduate of an approved school of Physical Therapy program. Have or be eligible for State Licensure or Registration. Registration must be obtained within one year or as per state law.
Job Type: Full-time