Bachelor's degree in software engineering or a related technical field, plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience. Agile experience preferred
Responsibilities for this Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a System Administrator - IA Software Patching. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
This position is located at the GDMS Scottsdale campus, and will require 25-50% of the time on US and International travel to the Operational Sites to perform System Administration function (updating, patching, installation, problem analysis) of the deployed systems.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- IT experience with all flavors of Windows, RedHat Linux and Solaris; performs administration for servers/workstations by applying patches, firmware updates, vendor updates, COTS patching, etc.
- IT experience with switches, routers, firewalls, NIDS, networking equipment; performs administration by applying patches, firmware and vendor updates
- Ability to create scripts to automate repetitive processes. Powershell, WMI, bash experience.
- Coordinate with Cyber and development teams to determine patch priority and system risk level
- Provide patch testing in the lab
- Provide configuration management release support for documentation
- Coordinate with customer at each site for system downtime approvals when machines are rebooted
- Coordinate and manage deployment people at the site
- Duties may include training users
- Creates, implements, and documents Patching Plan for firmware, OS, and vendor software patching
Candidate is required to meet DoDD 8140 IAT level II Certification (e.g., Security+) at a minimum upon hiring or within a reasonable timeframe. The following product certifications are preferred: MCSA Server, Linux+(CompTIA), Solaris 11 System Admin Cert, and Certified Cisco Network Administrator (CCNA). An understanding of Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs), Group Policy Objects (GPOs), Assured Compliance Assessment Solution (ACAS) is highly desirable.
PREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE:
- Employs expertise as a generalist or specialist
- Uses judgment within broadly defined policies and practices
- Work is accomplished without considerable direction
- Represents the organization as the principal customer contact and generally performs in a program/project leadership role
- Interacts with management and senior customer personnel on matters requiring coordination across organizational lines
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with non-technical, technical audiences, and IT leadership
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a wide range of individuals including technical and non-technical staff, and IT leadership
- Ability to work individually or collaboratively as part of a high-performance team
- Superior analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to write policies, procedures, and create system documentation
- Enhanced troubleshooting skills within the server/workstation OS as well as networking and storage technologies
- Must have hands-on experience developing, deploying and supporting large-scale enterprise server/workstation and networking solutions
- Ensures infrastructure is reliable, flexible, integrated and anticipates future needs
- Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment and professionally executes projects with little direction
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment when taking calculated risks individually or for the team
- Able to anticipate problems and take appropriate preventative actions
- Utilizes skill set to help more inexperienced team members to be more agile
- Advanced level of experience in multiple IT fields, applications and domains
- Has a broad understanding of the interrelationships within the IT environment with focus on server/workstation and networking equipment and associated services
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is preferred at time of hire. Candidates must be able to obtain a Secret clearance within a reasonable amount of time from date of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!