- BS Computer Science or other technical degree and/or related experience
- 5+ years development experience building scripts, tooling, and automation experience in one or more scripting in any of the following: (Python, Java, Perl, PHP, Ruby, Bash/Shell, Powershell)
- 3+ years experience in 24x7 production environments
- 3+ years Hands on Experience with Linux administration or other UNIX variants (Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat, Solaris, etc) in a production environment.
- Candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
Do you like helping U.S. Intelligence Community agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have a knack for helping these groups understand application architectures and integration approaches, and the consultative and leadership skills to launch a project on a trajectory to success? Do you want to own cutting edge technology, solve new problems that didn’t exist before, and have the ability to immediately see the impact of your successes?
System Development Engineers at Amazon are the backbone of our services. They work on large scale system design and help in our operational decision making. They are both hands on architects and implementers. They have a strong sense of ownership of the overall health and effectiveness of our services.
The ideal candidate will …
Be great fun to work with. Our company credo is “Work hard. Have fun. Make history.” The right candidate will love what they do and instinctively know how to make work fun.
Be passionate about customers. We start with the customer and work backwards. The right candidate will be passionate about delighting customers at all levels.
Know how to automate. We work fast and we work at scale. The right candidate will drive our culture of tooling and automation to scale our capabilities as our customers and services scale.
Have Intelligence Community (IC) experience. Customers in the IC have unique needs. The right candidate will fundamentally understand those needs and be able to craft solutions from AWS products and services.
We're a small, scrappy, startup team inside Amazon Web Services working on software that solves critical operations challenges for supporting highly specialized private clouds. AWS Platform Operations team is growing, and we need engineers who move fast, are capable of breaking down and solving complex problems, and have an incredible drive to get things done. Engineers at Amazon work on real world problems on a global scale, own their systems end to end and influence the direction of our technology that impacts hundreds of millions customers around the world.
Your responsibilities include:
- Working with business teams to understand customer issues and to investigate, prototype and deliver new and innovative solutions
- Create monitoring and alarming for crucial system availability and performance metrics
- Manage and grow innovative, production-quality tools to solve real operational problems, in Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, Java, etc.?
- Investigate complicated technical issues scientifically and thoroughly, and assist in fixing them so they don't come back?
- Provide technical solutions to real business problems in a global organization.
- Roll up your sleeves, get your hands dirty and do what it takes to deliver results
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or an Engineering discipline
- 3+ years of experience designing and/or implementing automated software testing, deployment, and performance analysis systems
- 3+ year of experience specifying, designing, and/or implementing system health, performance monitoring tools
- Experience with standard Internet protocols and networking fundamentals (Ethernet, ARP, TCP/IP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, SSL, DNS, HTTP, etc.)
This position requires that
- Strong debugging and systems analysis skills to be able to identify and quickly resolve/mitigate issues
- Exposure to massive-scaled distributed systems
- Previous experience with the following in a LINUX environment (LDAP, NTP and DHCP)
- Programming/Development experience with Ruby and Python
- Excellent documentation skills
- Experience with delivering end to end solutions, while insisting on the highest standards
- Strong design and coding skills
- Excellent communication skills (Ability to communicate design and concepts to non-technical)
- Strong grasp of fundamental algorithms
- Experience with mission critical systems
- Ability to track the health of our services, identify and fix problems on complex systems with massive scale
- Strong sense of ownership and urgency
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Highly organized and able to coordinate with other team members
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
- If you would like to discuss please reach out to Jason Holmberg at firstname.lastname@example.org*
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age