- EDUCATION: High school graduation or equivalent
- EXPERIENCE: 1 year experience providing high quality customer service preferably in a health care setting.
- Preference given to candidates whose experience includes the use of computerized schedules and electronic records.
- LICENSE/CERT/REG: No special certification, registration or license required.
- SKILLS: Knowledge of medical terminology, ICD 9-CM and CPT coding; knowledge of policies, procedures,
and rules and regulations of insurance companies; demonstrated ability to operate multi-line telephone
system; knowledge of cardiology terminology and insurance information preferred; ability to type 35 words per
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as a liaison during patient encounters by utilizing office policies and procedures. Greets each patient in a friendly manner and verifies that each patient’s demographic and insurance information is correctly entered into the Practice Management System.
- Answers the telephone with a positive and professional tone of voice before the fourth ring and directs or resolves the call appropriately in order to ensure each call is handled efficiently.
- Enhances continuity of care for patients by utilizing the Practice Management System integrated functions to include: recalls, confirmations, wait lists and online appointments.
- Interacts with practice employees, physicians, and others by obtaining and communicating essential data and assisting other team members to coordinate efficient patient flow through the practice.
- Maintains a regulatory/compliance environment by following organizational policies and procedures to ensure compliance to state, local, and federal standards and regulations.
- Obtains, identifies, and forwards referrals and authorizations to the A/R Department within 2 days of date of service by reviewing dates, billed procedures listed, signature of the referring physician, and batching worksheets to ensure claims are mailed from the A/R Department with appropriate documentation.
- Performs check-out procedures by inputting patient charges and verifying patient demographic and insurance information in the Practice Management System, ensuring charges are entered within two days of date of service.
- Confirms each patient has an understanding of our co-pay, balance and billing procedures in compliance with the Collections Policy Manual.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Records accurate and legible phone messages to ensure efficient follow through for patient care.
- Resolves fee ticket discrepancies by compiling and verifying all fee tickets against the Daily Charge Report and reviews the Kept Appointments with No Charges report on a daily basis by rerunning fee tickets and returning them to physicians when necessary to ensure all charges are entered into the Practice Management System.
- Schedules appointments and/or procedures by entering all relevant patient information in the Practice Management System to ensure proper preparation of the medical record and billing information prior to the time of appointment or procedure.