Join our team of dedicated educators to deliver rewarding, highly personalized, high-impact 1-on-1 and classroom course test preparation that drives higher student achievement for the students we serve. At Academic Approach, our mission is to mentor students positively, leading them both to raise their test scores dramatically and develop vital college readiness skills along the way.
Please note that we are only hiring tutors for our Clarendon Hills location at this time. If you indicate that you are only able to tutor in the City of Chicago or Hyde Park, we will keep your application on file and reach out when we are hiring for these locations.
Enjoy the support of Academic Approach's expert directors, in-depth training, and extensive, rigorously design print and online curriculum. You’ll raise scores, build skills, and empower students to achieve their goals. As an Instructor, you will support students in a 1-on-1 setting or teach a cohort of students a specialized standardized test-prep course to meet the group’s needs. Apply now for employment with purpose.
- You’ll work with the tutor support team to create a schedule that fits your life. 1-on-1 tutoring occurs after school or on weekends, while classroom instruction takes place during the school day, after school, and Saturday mornings.
Meaningfully impact students’ lives
- Benefit from Academic Approach’s seventeen-year history and expertise in supporting students
- The test growth your students will experience may be the difference-maker in earning admission to their dream university or a scholarship that makes attending college a reality.
- Instructors delivering one-on-one tutoring will learn to offer highly personalized test preparation solutions one student at a time, tailoring instruction to the unique needs of each student
- Instructors participating in classroom programs will collaborate with Chicago public, private, charter, and parochial high schools to bring Academic Approach’s curricular and instructional expertise to underserved student populations.
In-person paid training with individualized test preparation curriculum
- Work with veteran tutors and staff members to hone your teaching skills, master relevant content, and develop your own individual tutoring and teaching style. Our dedicated tutor development team continually revises training and provides ongoing support.
- You’ll receive our industry-leading curriculum to use with your students, but you’ll also learn how to use student data to customize your approach so that no two programs look alike.
Full-time and internal growth opportunities available
- Pay starts at $30 per instruction hour, and Academic Approach offers semi-annual reviews to discuss potential growth and professional development opportunities
- Our most successful tutors have been with us for over a decade
- Full-time tutors qualifying for benefits receive medical, vision, dental, and 401(k).
- Many of our successful tutors have transitioned into positions such as full-time roles.
Are you an educator or considering a career in education?
- Many of our instructors are pursuing education careers and appreciate having the chance to hone their instructional skills. Others come to us from a classroom teaching background and love the alternative teaching experience.
What makes for a great Academic Approach instructor?
- A bachelor's degree in any subject or major
- High standardized test scores in English, reading, math, or science.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to teach and mentor successfully in a 1-on-1 or classroom setting
- Responsibility, honesty, and maturity
- Friendliness, patience, and sensitivity to students of varying backgrounds
- Brings a sense of fun and support to a stressful time in a student’s life
Academic Approach provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Job Type: Part-time