Primary Function: Under the direction of a Supervisor, assist students by providing instruction to individual students or small groups of students in a classroom or other learning environment; incorporate technical skills and curriculum in all areas of learning.
- Directly Responsible To: Principal
- Status: Non-exempt
- Assigned Responsibilities:
- Assist in the presentation of instruction to individuals or small groups of students, reinforcing instruction as directed by the teacher; assist students in their understanding and comprehension of curriculum, performing remedial exercises and other basic instruction as required.
- Assist in planning and implementing instructional strategies to meet
curriculum objectives and development of computer knowledge
- Assist students in comprehending language and academic subject matter, monitor individuals and groups of students in computerized learning activities; explain and demonstrate theories and principles of the assigned subject area.
- Repeat and reinforce instruction of computer based curriculum to
assist students’ comprehension and understanding, provide more individual assistance to students experiencing learning difficulty; explain errors and answer questions.
- Report progress regarding student performance and behavior as
required; provide input and assist instructors with determining student advancement through established curriculum and computer programs.
- Communicate with students about their own performance and behavior.
- Assist in the preparation of instructional materials as directed by the teacher, and/or principal.
- Observe, model, and assist students in learning appropriate behavior in and out of the classroom.
- Administer, correct, and record tests, writings, and projects as directed. Perform a variety of clerical duties such as recording grades, taking attendance, maintaining records and files, and preparing classroom materials.
- Assist students by providing a positive role model, emotional support, patience, a friendly attitude and general guidance.
- Operate and help maintain a variety of computer and classroom equipment.
- Inform and make recommendations to teachers concerning programs and materials to meet individual student needs.
- Participate in meetings and in-service training programs as assigned.
- Assist co-workers in completing assignments and projects as assigned.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating computers and software on an as-needed basis for students and teachers.
- Responsible for providing support to staff and students with computer based curriculum.
- Attend ongoing technical training to keep current with ever-changing technology.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge and Abilities:
- Basics of core subjects taught in the SIATech Job Corps program including English, Math, Science, and Social Science
- Job Corps rules, policies, and procedure
- SIATech classroom rules, policies and procedures
- Safe practices in classroom activities
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary
- Reading and writing communication skills
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy
- Record-keeping techniques
- Basic instructional techniques
- Microsoft Office software programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access) and AutoCAD and 3D Studio Max software
- Assist in providing patient instruction to individuals or small groups of students in a SIATech classroom
- Assist with the instructional activities of the assigned learning environment
- Learn methods and procedures to be followed in the assigned instructional environment and adapt to limitations
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with students and staff
- Prepare instructional materials and perform a variety of routine clerical duties
- Perform clerical duties such as preparing and maintaining records related to the instructional program
- Understand and follow oral and written directions
- Read, follow, explain, and enforce rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Work independently, accepting instructions and directions, and meeting required deadlines
- Communicate effectively with students and adults both orally and in writing
- Monitor student behavior according to approved policies and procedures
- Operate instructional and office equipment, including computer equipment
- Maintain a clean, safe, and orderly classroom-learning environment
- Learn software applications used at SIATech in Job Corps classrooms
- Troubleshoot individual desktop/printer problems, as well as network configurations
- Education and Experience:
- Completion of two (2) years of study at an institution of higher education (60 hours minimum); or obtained an Associate’s degree
- BA degree preferred
- Training in computer software and teaching practices
- Two (2) years of experience in a teaching environment
- Licenses and Other Requirements:
- Valid California driver’s license
- Current TB test
- First Aid and CPR Certificate preferred
- Working Conditions:
- Indoor, office setting; classroom environment
PHYSICAL and MENTAL CONDITIONS:
- Sits, stands, walks, bends, kneels and uses hands, arms and legs for dexterity and balance frequently
- Occasionally lifts, carries and balances light objects
- Pulls and pushes such objects as files, audio/visual equipment and similar office equipment and supplies
- Occasionally may be required to perform the safe operation of a vehicle
- Safely operate office equipment and machines
- Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing frequently with a wide range of people from divergent socio-economic backgrounds and origins
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $15.00 /hour
- teaching environment: 2 years (Required)