Full Job Description
Research Assistant I
Function: Provides technical assistance in carrying out studies of lung inflammation, and promotion of lung cancer by inflammation.
Scope: Enhance our understanding of inflammation-related lung cancer in COPD patients and identify means to prevent progress from premalignant phase to malignant phase.
1. Prepares and conductsin vivo studies of lung inflammation and lung cancer using mouse models, including breeding mutant mouse strains, culturing pathogens and delivering treatments to mice.
2. Prepares and conductsex vivo/in situ histologic analyses using the following techniques: animal dissection, tissue fixation, paraffin embedding, cryofixation, tissue sectioning (paraffin and frozen), histochemistry, and immunohistochemistry.
3. Performs microscopic and morphometric image analyses of histological specimens.
4. Constructs, assembles, and operates laboratory apparatus and equipment including thermocyclers, agarose gel electrophoresis units, nebulizers/gas compressors, and spectrophotometers.
5. Isolates, extracts, purifies, and analyzes mouse genomic DNA for genotyping purposes using PCR and Southern blot hybridization.
6. Isolates, extracts, purifies, and analyzes mouse lung RNA for purposes of gene expression analysis.
7. He/She will learn how to feed, maintain and grow cells in medium under optimal condition
and perform in vitro assay using them under different stimuli.
8. Reading literature is required for increasing his/ her knowledge about the project and also
presenting in journal clubs.
9. The employee must communicate freely and clearly, and must confer with superiors regarding new procedures and modify them according to the needs of the project.
10. Record lab results in a notebook and computer
Bachelor's degree, major course work in one of the basic sciences. No experience. It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
Requisition ID: 136578
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
FLSA: exempt and eligible for additional compensation for hours worked beyond your usual schedule, paid at a straight rate
Work Week: Day/Evening, Varied
Fund Type: Hard
Pivotal Position: No
Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 30,400
Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 38,000
Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 45,600
Science Jobs: No