Metropolitan Family Services
empowers families to learn, to earn, to heal, to thrive. Part mentor, part motivator, part advocate, since 1857, Metropolitan Family Services has been the engine of change that empowers families to reach their greatest potential and positively impact their communities. Metropolitan is Illinois’ first comprehensive human services agency and reaches more than 68,000 individuals and families in Chicago, Evanston/Skokie, the southwest suburbs and DuPage County with services promoting education, economic stability, emotional wellness and empowerment.
We are now hiring a full-time Staff Accountant
to join our GO
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for the review and reconciliation of general ledger account balances.
- Performs monthly close of computerized general ledger systems.
- Works with staff from all agency departments and programs to coordinate the monthly recording of financial transactions.
- Using a high level of skill, analyzes internal monthly financial statements for accuracy, proper allocations, and reasonableness.
- Prepares journals and posts entries from sub ledgers and external systems, maintaining adequate documentation.
- Prepares schedules and working papers for the external annual audit. Responds to auditor inquiries.
- Prepares analytical response to inquires from internal/external sources and prepares documentation as needed.
- Using initiative and high degree of judgment, acts as resource to staff on all levels in matters relating to program financial transactions, bringing complex situations to the attention of the appropriate staff.
- Assist in training general ledger personnel.
- Responsible for data processing system file maintenance.
- Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of special projects and analyses as needed.
- Will work with internal and external audiences to get the necessary information for billings/expenditure reports on several contracts.
- Works effectively with diverse staff.
Metropolitan Family Services offers a very generous benefits packet to our professionals:
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or three years experience.
- Must know excel to complete spreadsheets, track and report on expenses.
- Strong personal computer skills, including knowledge of Excel and an overall familiarity with automated general ledger packages.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse individuals and groups.
- Will need to travel to Calumet office 2-3 days per week.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Medical Coverage: HMO, Traditional PPO, or PPO w/ HSA contributions.
- Dental and Vision Insurance Options
- 11 paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 401K Plan
- Training and Professional Development Plan with E- Learning
- Wellness Initiative Program
- Employee Assistance Network
Bachelors or better in Accounting or related field.
3 years: Related experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.