Recruitment Number VA985
Posting Period 08/09/18 - OUF
On Campus Only Promotional Opportunity No
Working Title ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF RECRUITMENT & OUTREACH (Administrator I)
Class Title ADMINISTRATOR I
Salary Range (From $ to $) Salary commensurate with background and experience of the individual selected. (Anticipated hiring salary not to exceed: $60,000 per year).
Department Admissions Office
Number of Positions 1
FLSA Code Exempt
Status At Will
Full-time/part-time (if part-time, indicate time base) Full-time
Pay Plan 12/12 month
CBU/MOU M80 - Management Personnel Plan
Quick Link http://jobs.csuchico.edu/postings/4912
Hours Per Day 8 hours during the school year / 10 hours during the summer
Days Per Week 5 days during the school year / 4 days during the summer
Primary Duties Under general direction of the Director of Admissions, the Assistant Director of Outreach & Recruitment will provide strategic leadership, planning, coordination, and evaluation for all aspects of off-campus recruitment, outreach, and contributing to the enrollment of academically qualified and culturally, ethnically, economically, geographically, and socially diverse students. The Assistant Director of Outreach and Recruitment will assist in the overall management and operation of the Office of Admissions. The assistant director is a key member of the Office of Admissions management team and will be involved in the communication of admission policies and procedures, management of daily recruitment operations, and strategic planning.
The assistant director will provide primary leadership in the development, administration, and implementation of University recruitment efforts, with special emphasis on the recruitment, admission, and enrollment of a diverse student body. The assistant director will create, administer, and execute traditional and non-traditional recruitment strategies for the purpose of achieving the University’s recruitment goals.
This position is responsible for planning, organizing, and managing the activities and goals of the recruitment and outreach staff. This includes, but is not limited to, the development and implementation of targeted recruitment strategies for high school, community college, pre-college, and community-based organization outreach efforts. The assistant director is responsible for the continued training and supervision of the outreach staff, development of recruitment initiatives for enrollment growth, recruitment efforts targeted at special populations, providing coordination with programs such campus tours, two large visit days, and special tour programs) on-site recruitment efforts (high school, community college, college fairs, special events), and coordination with the marketing of electronic and printed recruitment strategies. Travel is required for some nights/weekends with peak times occurring the fall and spring.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities KNOWLEDGE:
- Thorough knowledge of:
- Admissions, recruitment and outreach in a higher education setting.
- Information and communication technologies in admissions management and recruitment.
- The principles of planning and management of a unit.
- Effective supervisory practices and techniques, and employee-employer relationships.
- Organizational development and administrative, personnel, and fiscal management.
- Proficiency with computer programs (MS Office products, institutional data systems, web based recruitment tools).
- Proficiency in the use of standard office equipment (computers, copiers, phones, fax) and computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, and database management.
- Demonstrated success in leadership, supervision, and planning skills.
- Advanced analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills within a complex work environment and to adopt effective courses of action.
- Collect, track and analyze data and/or information, prepare reports or presentations, draw conclusions from the analysis, effectively present the information and make recommendations.
- Demonstrated skills setting priorities and deadlines to ensure project goals and objectives are obtained within timelines.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Use of CRM and other forms of technology to assist with best practices in recruitment and outreach.
- Collaboration skills to work with faculty, staff, and University administration.
- Demonstrate commitment and sensitivity to multicultural needs, issues and opportunities.
- Interpersonal skills to motivate and inspire college students.
- Skilled at assisting students with academic deficiencies, monitoring of academic progress, and assisting with course selection.
- Public speaking skills directed to a diverse audience.
- Demonstrated collaboration skills.
- Evidence of a strong personal commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Excellent written and verbal skills and the demonstrated competence to effectively present information in either format.
- Incumbent must have the ability to:
- Adapt to the dynamics of organizational, procedural and policy changes; organize resources, especially staff, to meet program goals.
- Prioritize and organize resources, including technological staff, to achieve agreed upon outcomes
- Interpret and apply a variety of complex policies, procedures, regulations, and agreements, identify deviations from applicable policies to carry out responsibilities in accordance with University policies and applicable laws.
- Define problems, collect and analyze data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables.
- Conceptualize or identify needed changes, develop and implement practical, different and/or creative solutions using independent judgment to unusual and sometimes complex situations.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external communities, including appropriate officials at other state colleges and universities, the Chancellor’s Office, the State of California, executive administrators, academic personnel, students, and other agencies.
- Understand that prospective students, their families, school counselors, staff, and community members perceive performance, actions, and behaviors of an individual as a representation of how the organization functions as a whole. Understand that perceptions are important.
- Work cooperatively with University community to modify and create updated recruitment processes.
- Work cooperatively and in a leadership role to communicate changes to recruitment process.
- Use tact, diplomacy and discretion when handling sensitive and/or confidential matters or materials.
- Work with and show sensitivity to the needs of students of varied ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Work a flexible schedule due to travel and outside events.
- Speak in front of small to medium sized groups without electronic amplification.
- Develop and manage a budget.
- Adapt to change (e.g., work environment, technology).
- Establish and maintain highly effective and collaborative working relationships with a variety of clientele (e.g. prospective students and families; student workers; staff; faculty; school staffs and community members) in a multicultural environment.
- Perform assigned duties.
Required Education and/or Experience EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in a job-related area.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience motivating, scheduling, training, and evaluating professional staff and students in a higher education setting.
- Three years of experience and knowledge in admissions, recruitment, marketing, and outreach in a higher education setting.
- Experience working with a multicultural clientele seeking to pursue higher education.
Recruitment Preferences Preference may be given to applicants with the following as they may be considered specialized skills:
- Three years of full-time experience managing a university admissions office that includes “traditional” (school visits and college fairs), print, and “e-recruitment” (electronic media/communications) programs in a higher education or comparable setting.
- Ability to speak, Spanish, Hmong, or Punjabi.
- A demonstrated ability to work independently (as the incumbent will fulfill ongoing responsibilities without the benefit of day-to-day assignments or immediate direction).
- A master’s degree in a job related area.
Special Requirements • The person holding this position is considered a “Limited Mandated Reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 (revised July 21, 2017) as a condition of employment.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position. This is considered a sensitive position. Current CSU, Chico employees are subject to a background check (including a criminal record check) if voluntarily moving into a sensitive position, regardless of any background checks previously conducted. Incumbent is responsible for the safety and security of Level 1 data, sometimes also referred to as Level 1 protected data. This is confidential information that is in most cases protected by statutes, regulations, or other legal mandates.
- This position is a Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA) designated managerial position and comes under the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. Individuals appointed to management positions serve at the pleasure of the President or designee. They are excluded from the collective bargaining process, are not subject to probationary service, and do not receive tenure or permanent status. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- The duties of this position will include participation in a decision that may have a material/financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, this is a “designated position” under the California State University’s Conflict of Interest Code and the incumbent will be required to file a Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest and is subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission. (Designated Group & Category – Admissions – Director / Assoc or Asst Director – 2)
- Throughout employment in this position incumbent must maintain a valid California Driver’s License as well continued completion and compliance of the CSU Defensive Driver’s Training course.
Incumbent/applicant will need to be able to perform the essential job functions (duties) of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. This position alternates between remaining in a stationary position operating a personal computer for long periods of time and frequently moving about inside the office. May need to travel across campus to other offices and buildings for meetings and events. Evenings, overnight and/or weekend travel is required.
Position requires the ability to move and transport boxes of recruitment materials weighing up to 35 pounds. During heavy recruitment periods, this may occur multiple times throughout the day.
Typical office environment and equipment is the norm for this position. Often a fast-paced work environment serving a large number of students and working on a variety of programs and projects. The position involves frequent to constant interaction with students, faculty, and staff to perform student functions. Some travel between campus offices and attendance at after-hours, overnight and/or weekend travel events is required.
Devices and Programs Used –
- Drive private car and rental cars. (will require CSU drivers training course)
- Fax, copier, PC, phone
- Microsoft Office, PeopleSoft, Salesforce CRM, Image Now, and other educational websites such as ASSIST and UC Doorways
Benefits This position qualifies for benefits including tuition fee waiver (if eligible
Benefit Information CSU, Chico offers a number of benefits to its employees (e.g., sick leave, vacation, health insurance). Eligibility for standard CSU benefits is based on an appointment of half-time or more for a period exceeding six months. Employees appointed less than half-time or less than six months are not eligible for standard CSU benefits but do receive prorated sick leave and vacation.
Eligibility for Affordable Care Act (ACA) benefits is based on an appointment of at least three-quarter time, hired to work a minimum of 130 hours per month over the course of the appointment or works an average of 130 hours or more per month during the measurement period. The ACA guidelines provide for health coverage or FlexCash only. ACA does not provide dental or vision plan coverage.
About the University and Community Detailed information is available at http://www.csuchico.edu/pa/chico-facts.shtml. As a university that educates students of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds, we value a diverse faculty and staff. CSU, Chico welcomes applicants who are knowledgeable about and interested in working within a cross-cultural learning environment. We also welcome those who share a passion and commitment to the University’s 6th Strategic Priority that focuses on sustainability, stewardship, and the environment – see http://www.csuchico.edu/sustainability/index.shtml.
California State University, Chico is committed to achieving excellence through diversity in the classroom and the workplace. It strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students, faculty, and staff.
The university is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
Open Date (posting open date) 08/09/2018
Close Date (posting close date)
Open Until Filled Yes