Small, family owned law firm in the heart of the Cherry Creek Shopping District, seeking Spanish-English, bilingual support staff to deliver quality legal services to clients by secretarial and administrative support to a partner in a law firm with a focus on criminal defense.
- Finance: Enters attorney’s time into a billing system and generates client bills on a monthly basis; prepares billing letters and submits bills to clients; communicates with clients regarding payment schedules and past due payments.
- Administrative Support: Answers and screens telephone calls; greets clients and handles routine client matters; operates a variety of office equipment including computers, telephones, copiers, fax machines, and calculators.
- Document Preparation: Knowledge of legal terminology (in English and Spanish) and legal document formats in order to read, interpret, prepare, revise, and finalize legal documents; assists with the preparation of fee agreements; originate, revise, and finalize correspondence, memoranda and legal pleadings; proofreads to ensure accuracy of formatting, grammar, punctuation, and syntax; prepares revisions and redlines to documents as directed; prepares documents for e-filing and files documents with the appropriate courts; preparation of trial notebooks and exhibits.
- Technology: Type approximately 60 net words per minute; must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) and Adobe Acrobat Pro; strive to become proficient in new technology rollouts and willingness to attend trainings and demonstrate mastery of technology skills.
- Courts/Administrative Agencies: General knowledge of court rules and procedures as they apply; coordinates service and filing of all court documents, including individual subpoena service; communicates with court staff on a regular basis to set and re-set court appearances, etc.
- Files: Creates, maintains, and disposes of client and firm files following appropriate guidelines as directed; coordinates to create and maintain files and indexes, both paper and electronic.
- Calendar: Maintains and updates calendars for assigned timekeepers, including meetings, appointments, deadlines, and client related activities; coordinates scheduling of and assists in preparing for appointments, meetings, and conferences.
- Teamwork: Ability to effectively communicate (bilingually) and work cooperatively with attorneys, staff and clients; proactively demonstrates effective teamwork and provides assistance to other assistants as time permits; operates as a backup assistant when needed; analytic ability to apply knowledge to practical applications and to foresee possible problems and effective solutions.
- Miscellaneous: Ability to maintain confidentiality of all client and firm information; ability to work independently and effectively; requires minimal supervision; willingness to meet the requirements of the position, accepting a wide variety of assignments as called upon; demonstrate skills in organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks; demonstrate reliability and willingness to work in a complex environment; other duties as assigned.
Position Type, Expected Hours of Work and Pay
This is a part-time position averaging approximately 20-30 hours per week. This could become a full time, benefit eligible position, once proficiency is demonstrated. Salary will depend on experience but would likely start at $20/hr. The days and times are negotiable and flexible but generally the hours of work will be between 8:30 and 4:30 P.M. The position includes paid/covered parking.
Required Education and Experience
High school degree or equivalent and some years of legal secretarial experience or equivalent.
Preferred Education and Experience
A bachelor’s degree and 3 to 7 years of legal secretarial experience.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Notary Public; Legal Assistant or Paralegal Certificate.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Salary: $35,000.00 to $50,000.00 /year
- Legal Assistant: 1 year (Preferred)
- Denver, CO 80206 (Preferred)
Hours per week:
Typical start time:
Typical end time: