This is a statewide recruitment for current and anticipated vacancies which may occur
LOCATION OF POSITION
MSP Forensic Sciences Division
221 Milford Mill Road
Pikesville, MD 21208
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is the identification, collection, recording and preservation of physical evidence found at crime scenes for laboratory examination and potential court presentations.
Education: Sixty credit hours from an accredited college or university with at least 15 credit hours in criminal justice or law enforcement or forensic sciences.
Experience: One year of experience identifying, collecting, recording and preserving physical evidence at crime and disaster scenes.
1. Candidates may substitute two years of additional experience for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Master at Arms classifications or Military Police or Security Forces specialty codes in the Criminal Justice field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
1. Experience in an internship program performing crime scene and/or disaster scene work
2. Experience in a job performing crime scene and/or disaster scene work
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
1. In accordance with Public Safety Article, Section 2-204 (b) (6) of the Annotated Code of Maryland, candidates for positions in this classification will be subject to an initial drug screening, a physical examination, submission of a DNA sample, and a complete criminal background investigation, to include a polygraph examination before permanent appointment can be made. A criminal conviction may be grounds for rejection of the candidate by the hiring agency.
2. Employees in this classification are subject to random substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
3. Employees in this classification are subject to call-in 24 hours a day and, therefore, are required to provide the agency with a telephone number where they can be reached.
The selection for this process will involve a review of each application. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on an eligible list in the BEST, BETTER or QUALIFIED category. The list will be used by the hiring manager to select the individual to fill the vacancy. The list will be valid for one year.
STATE OF MARYLAND BENEFITS
NOTE: Currently, applicants are limited to uploading one file. As a result, it is strongly urged that those applying upload ALL required and additional documents (undergraduate and graduate transcripts, resumes, etc.) as one file
If you are unable to apply online, you may submit an application via mail. The Maryland State Application Form can be found online.
Completed applications, required documentation and any required addendums may be mailed to:
Maryland State Police
Human Resources Division
1201 Reisterstown Road
Pikesville, MD 21208
ATTN: R. Bruce Tanner
Questions or concerns regarding this recruitment may be sent to the following e-mail address:
It is the policy of the Maryland State Police to comply with all applicable federal and state laws prohibiting employment discrimination and to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender, identity and expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, sexual orientation or any other protected status.