The Oculus team at Facebook is helping more people around the world come together and connect through world-class VR hardware and software. With global departments dedicated to VR research, computer vision, haptics, social interaction, and more, Oculus is committed to driving the state of the art forward through relentless innovation. VR’s potential to change the world is immense—and we’re just getting started.
As the Product Development team, we are builders who break down barriers to what is possible. Together we design hardware that transforms technology into product.
Oculus is looking for an experienced and highly self-motivated Display Backlight Design Engineer for our Hardware Product Development team. This engineer will focus on development of new backlight architecture that meet the demanding needs of VR applications.
Work as a member of the display development team to specify and realize new display backlight technology for VR applications with high brightness, wide color gamut and high contrast ratio.
- Work closely with display panel and backlight component/module vendors throughout the design, sample, and engineering validation phases.
- Work closely with display panel and backlight component/module vendors to develop and implement new designs and processes that enable display VR displays.
- Ensure the technical performance of completed displays.
- Identify, develop, and utilize new vendors and technologies for display processes.
- Willingness and ability to travel both domestically and internationally up to 20% of the time.
BS or MS in Display Engineering, Materials Science, Optical Engineering, Physics or related field with 5+ years of similar work experience.
- Hands-on experience in the focus areas listed below:
- -Light guide panel (LGP) design.
- -LED phosphor development for wide color gamut.
- -Development of side-lit and direct-lit LED architecture.
- -Development of backlight film stack to tune the emission cone.
- -Backlight flex, LED driver IC design and development.
- -Equipment design and manufacturing for display backlight module.
- -Display module assembly processes and manufacturing.
- -Display calibration, control and tuning.
- -Display system development.
- Hands-on design experience with illumination design programs, such as LightTools, FRED, TracePro, Zemax, or ASAP.
- Experience working and communicating with cross-functional teams.
PhD in Display Engineering, Materials Science, Optical Engineering, Physics or related field with 5+ years of similar work experience.
- Energy and drive to work in a startup environment.