Executive Director Job Posting
Friends of the Arthur R. Marshall Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge is a 501(c)(3) organization whose primary purpose is to advocate for and promote an appreciation of the natural history, environment, and wildlife habitat of the Arthur R. Marshall
Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge. We are currently searching for an Executive
Director to lead this growing non-profit organization in Palm Beach County, Florida.
How To Apply: If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume to: [email protected]
Job Status: Exempt; Part-Time (estimated at 15-25 hours per week)
Salary Range: $30,000 to $45,000 per year.
Note Regarding Job Status and Salary: Our hope is that a successful Executive
Director will grow the membership, philanthropic giving and gift shop sales such that we will have the financial resources to convert this into a full-time position at a higher salary level in the next one to three years. Until now this organization has been entirely volunteer lead, with no paid staff. This is a new position.
Job Summary: As the sole management professional of this Palm Beach/Broward
County area non-profit, the Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the planning and operation of the organization’s programs, expansion, and execution of its mission, with particular emphasis on cultivation and development of potential sources of funding. The Executive Director provides leadership, direction, and support to the Board of Directors in developing organizational goals, attaining, and managing resources, and establishing policies. Other key duties include strong fiscal management with budget oversight, maintaining official records and ensuring compliance with regulatory agencies, ability to communicate effectively and successfully with donors, and maintaining a strong community presence with high visibility.
Reporting Relationship: The Executive Director reports to the Board of Trustees through the Board President
Job Responsibilities and Duties include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Oversee and coordinate the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of the organization.
- Coordinate the planning, implementation and evaluation of the Friends of the
Arthur R. Marshall Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge (FOLNWR) programs and projects to ensure they meet the objectives, fulfill its contracts, stay true to its mission and the needs of the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge, LNWR.
- Oversee internal operations, including recordkeeping and supervision of volunteers and paid consultants.
- Provide oversight for the financial operations of FOLNWR, working effectively with the organization’s treasurer and ensuring that Generally Accepted
Accounting Principles are followed and to prepare financial reports for theBoard’s review.
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that FOLNWR can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Develop long and short-term goals for the FOLNWR and work with board and refuge staff to ensure that goals are achieved.
- Establish policies and procedures.
- Work with the President and Committee Chairs to develop an operational organizational annual budget to be approved by the Board of Directors.
- Oversee and manage system implementations and inventory cost controls.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support
- Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and regional expansion.
- Ensures that services and funding relationships are robust enough to meet or exceed strategic goals and objectives.
- Lead FOLNWR fundraising efforts, including identifying potential sponsors and corporate partners and managing the relationships.
- Write and administer grant applications for Refuge and Friends programs as appropriate.
- Responsible for the growth of the membership and volunteer base and engagement of members/volunteers in meaningful programs.
- Responsible for the enhancement of FOLNWR’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations.
Programs and Outreach:
- Responsible for overall communication and marketing materials including but not limited to all website and social media material, all letters, press releases, photos, membership materials, and any other forms of communications such that they are consistent with the strategic plan and mission of FOLNWR.
- Implement programs as outlined by the Board’s strategic plans
- Build and develop relationships with other state, national and local relevant organizations.
- Responsible for the recruitment of volunteers and community partners to leverage and further outreach, programs and fundraising opportunities.
Leadership & Communications:
- Responsible for leading FOLNWR in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for maintaining strong working relationships with the Arthur R.
Marshall Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge staff members.
- Responsible for oversight and management of all volunteers and their directed programs, including the FOLNWR gift shop.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors, facilitating board meetings serve as ex-officio of each committee.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Communicate with stakeholders, including members, donors, community groups, elected officials, and the general public, keeping them informed of the work progress of the organization.
- Serve as FOLNWR’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media, members, other organizations and partners, and the public.
- Stay abreast of issues affecting the Refuge and advocacy efforts.
- High level strategic thinking and planning.
- Demonstrated ability to lead others, and effectively manage and motivate volunteers, to foster teamwork, and to interact effectively with Board, community partners and program participants.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in planning, budgeting, prioritizing tasks, taking initiative, organizing tasks, assuming responsibility for projects from inception to completion, evaluating results, and solving problems with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations
- Strong work ethic with a clear record of leadership
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach, manage, and develop effective teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organization skills, ability to manage multiple priorities and strong follow through.
- Ability to leverage technology creatively.
- Proficient with some or all of the following; (NeonOne, QuickBooks, Microsoft,
WordPress, Social Media)
- High level analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
Education and Experience Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or at least 3-5 years relevant experience
- 3-5 + years knowledge, skills, or experience in a management or administrative leadership professional, with a non-profit organization or similar enterprise.
- Experience working with others on successful fundraising efforts.
- Strong fundraising, public relations/communications experience required.
- A servant leader who embraces the FOLNWR ’s membership and is willing to be an ambassador for this non-profit organization.
- A leader of the utmost integrity who manages the organization’s financial and legal affairs with transparency, honesty, and reliability.
- One who enjoys interacting with people and participating in a variety of FOLNWR or relevant events.
- Willingness to travel when needed to FOLNWR events.
- Shows passion for nature, the environment, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
Basic Job Expectations:
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends and some evenings.
- Possess valid driver’s license and access to personal vehicle.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs.
- Willing to work both indoors and outdoors, being exposed to outside elements, wildlife, uneven terrain, insects, plants, etc.
For more information please visit https://loxahatcheefriends.com/ and https://www.fws.gov/refuge/arthur-r-marshall-loxahatchee
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $30,000.00 - $45,000.00 per year
Expected hours: 15 – 25 per week
Work Location: In person