The HR business partner (HRBP) position is responsible for aligning business objectives with employees and management in designated business units. The position serves as a consultant to management on human resource-related issues. The successful HRBP acts as an employee champion and change agent. The role assesses and anticipates HR-related needs. Communicating needs proactively with the HR specialists and business management, the HRBP seeks to develop integrated solutions. The position formulates partnerships across the HR function to deliver value-added service to management and employees that reflects the business objectives of the organization. The HRBP maintains an effective level of business literacy about the business unit's financial position, its midrange plans, its culture and its competition.
Examples of Duties
The position duties and responsibilities listed below describe the general nature and scope of work. Other responsibilities, duties, and skills may be required and assigned, as needed. These essential functions require presence in the workplace on a regular basis and regular attendance must be maintained.
- Assist the primary Recruiter with sourcing and screening viable candidates for open positions. Utilize social media for notification of open positions and upcoming needs.
- Assist with ensuring the timely scheduling of applicants and reviews and develops interview questions, scenarios or assessments and in making job offers.
- Establish strong partner relationships with the career offices of local universities and workforce agencies.
- Provide day-to-day performance management guidance to line management (e.g., coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions).
- Ensure the timely administration of performance evaluations and coordinates follow up and check in meetings in the event of a performance improvement plan.
- Assist with establishing a career plan for the retention of high performers
- Provide guidance and input on business unit restructures, workforce planning and succession planning.
- Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues. Conduct effective, thorough and objective investigations.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partner with the legal department as needed/required.
- Work closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention
- Provide HR policy guidance and interpretation.
- Identify training needs for business units and individual executive coaching needs.
- Participate in the evaluation and monitoring of training programs to ensure success. Follow up to ensure training objectives are met.
- Able to articulate and provide general information on the organization's health and wellness plans.
- Understands and conveys the retirement plan(s) and general rules and requirements.
- Can properly guide employees to appropriate sources of information in order for them to understand and appreciate their employment package, benefit options and qualifying events.
- Analyze current and new positions to ensure internal equity and market competitiveness
- Complete regulatory reports and ensure compliance with changes in regulations.
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
- Analyze trends and metrics to develop solutions, programs and policies.
- Report on emerging issues in the HR field
- Other Duties as Assigned
: Provides direction to people and/or projects by clearly and effectively setting course of action for the department, staff, and tasks; manages the planning, execution, and achievement of department goals by providing regular communication to staff and stakeholders
: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; and persists despite obstacles and opposition
: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands monitors and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind; and recognizes working colleagues as customers
: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing; demonstrates attention to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions of others; and listens effectively. Demonstrates the ability to develop audiovisual presentations to both internal and external audiences.
Responsiveness and Accountability
: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; holds oneself personally responsible for one's own work; and does fair share of work
: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed; attends, supports, and participates in all team building exercises and events
Continuous Improvement and Innovation
: Seeks the continuous improvement of technological business processes and services; explores out-of-the-box methods and is open to experimenting with new ideas; uses data, knowledge, and strategic decision-making to generate new and innovative solutions
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Human Resources, Public Administration, Business Administration or a related field.
- Six (6) years of increasingly responsible HR generalist experience in a professional or executive-level, comparably sized public or private organization with a complex work environment
- Proficient in the following: employment law, compensation methodologies; benefit plan design, organizational development theories and adult learner concepts
- Able to use word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software.
- Successful completion of a criminal history background check, education, and work history verification, and drug screening test.
- Texas Class "C" driver's license.
License and Certifications:
- Masters Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Human Resources, Public Administration, Business Administration or a related field.
- Eight (8) years human resource experience with progressively increasing management responsibility including 2 years supervising personnel and five years leading a Human Resource function.
- Certified Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) or SHRM SCP
Must have the ability to earn certifications as required by assigned tasks.
To perform this job successfully, the employee should have:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of contracting and negotiating.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local employment, wage and salary laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of organizational development theory and practices.
- Knowledge of computerized information systems used in human resources applications.
- Knowledge of organizational cultures and change management best practices.
- Ability to interpret and provide advice on the application of EEO/AA laws.
- Ability to analyze and assess training and development needs.
- Ability to negotiate and manage employee dispute resolution processes.
- Ability to participate in and facilitate group meetings.
- Ability to prepare and present clear and concise administrative and financial reports.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 10 pounds.
- Visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer keyboard and basic office equipment.
- Subject to sitting, standing, reaching and walking to perform the essential functions.
- Working conditions are primarily inside an office environment.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
High level of interaction with external/internal clients
Subject to environmental elements when conducting visits to various sites or participating in outside events.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the San Antonio Housing Authority will make reasonable accommodation to the known disability of a qualified applicant or employee to enable people with disabilities to enjoy equal employment opportunities, if it would not impose an "undue hardship" on the operation of the employer's business.
As a public agency, SAHA is committed to maintaining the highest of ethical standards. Applicants selected for employment are expected to perform work responsibilities with the highest degree of integrity, professionalism and honesty, to merit the respect of our co-workers, clients, partners, vendors and the general public. Applicants selected for employment are also expected to serve the public with dedication, concern, courtesy and responsiveness.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
This position specification is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this position specification at any time, without notice.