This is a full-time, overtime-eligible position in the Bookstore on the Olympia Campus of The Evergreen State College.
Under the direction of the Bookstore Manager, perform duties related to the fiscal operations of the Bookstore. This position is responsible for processing all fiscal documents, reports, and records and for computing, reconciling, adjusting, reviewing, auditing, and entering fiscal and statistical data to maintain accounting, budgeting, purchasing, and payroll records for the Bookstore/Copy Center operation.
Nature and Scope
• Prepare and enter Bookstore/Copy Center purchases and credits into Banner.
• Balance and reconcile daily sales from (Point of Sale) POS reports and prepare entry to Banner in a prompt manner.
• Prepare bank deposits, reconcile cash to audit reports, and maintain Bookstore accruals.
• Balance and maintain petty cash fund and ensure appropriate amounts and denominations of cash are available for Bookstore operations.
• Perform accurate and prompt reconciliation of Bookstore web sales on a daily basis.
• Set up budgets in Nebraska quarterly and as needed; accurately and promptly bill college departments and grant and foundation accounts and follow up on delinquent accounts.
• Perform month end reconciliation in Banner and Nebraska systems; accurately and promptly prepare and submit monthly reports to Bookstore Manager and the Business Office.
• Review and recommend changes for preparation of fiscal reports.
• Review and update Bookstore systems for correct Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and student information.
• Bill outside agencies (Department of Veterans Affairs, Tribal agencies, Services for the Blind, Department of Vocational Rehabilitation, Employment Security Department, etc.) on a quarterly basis using Word and Excel to create invoices; accurately maintain Bookstore Accounts Receivable System.
• Reconcile monthly vendor statements within a prompt timeframe.
• Manage physical and paperwork inventory for the Bookstore on an annual basis; perform other inventory functions as needed.
• Monitor and reconcile book buyback funds on a daily basis and when database guide updates are performed.
• Maintain the NSF check file in POS System.
• Backup Archive manager program and archive paper files per state records retention schedule.
• Act as back up contact person on POS system problems.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger accounting, and bookkeeping; ability to perform tasks associated with this type of work.
• Strong skill in and ability to accurately and promptly perform daily and monthly reconciliation and prepare financial statements.
• Ability to provide excellent customer service in person and over the phone; excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
• Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office specifically Word, Excel, and Outlook.
• Knowledge of and skill in using integrated financial databases (Banner and Nebraska) and point-of-sale systems; ability to input data quickly and accurately and query such systems.
• Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of students, staff, faculty and the public.
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize, meet tight deadlines, work under pressure, and perform tasks requiring a high degree of accuracy.
• Skill in preparing and producing invoices and following up on delinquent accounts.
• Ability to accurately process, create, reconcile, correct, organize, and maintain computer generated and paper reports, records, and files.
• Ability to accurately understand and apply knowledge of Bookstore rules, regulations, and procedures.
• Ability to perform/manage inventory.
• Ability to work some weekends and extended hours during peak service periods.
• One year of experience performing accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger accounting, and/or bookkeeping responsibilities in a retail setting.
Conditions of Employment
• Must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three days of beginning work.
• This position is part of a bargaining unit and covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
• Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.
• Must be able and willing to work occasional evening, weekends, and overtime.
A full state benefits package which includes: paid sick and vacation leave; paid campus holidays; a generous medical, dental, life and disability insurance package for employees and dependents; retirement; deferred compensation and optional supplemental retirement accounts. For more information about Evergreen’s excellent employee benefits, please view http://www.evergreen.edu/payroll/benefits.htm