- PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics or a related quantitative field
- 3+ years of practical experience applying ML to solve complex problems
- 2+ years hands-on experience programming in R, Java, C#, C++ or other similar programming languages
- Proficiency in algorithm and model development, model validation and model implementation for large-scale applications
- Experience distilling customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
- Strong communication and data presentation skills
We are looking for a passionate and talented Applied Scientist who will collaborate with other scientists and engineers to leverage machine learning methods and algorithms for the modeling and analysis of data.
You'll design and run experiments, research new algorithms, and find new ways of optimizing customer experience. Besides theoretical analysis and innovation, you will work closely with talented engineers to put your algorithms and models into practice. Your work will directly impact the trust customers place in Amazon.
You are the ideal candidate if you are passionate about delivering experiences that delight customers and creating solutions that are robust. You thrive in ambiguous environments that require to find solutions to problems that have not been solved before. You leverage your exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience to creating reliable, scalable, and high performance products. Your strong communication skills enable you to work effectively with both business and technical partners.
- Design, implement, test, deploy and maintain innovative data and machine learning solutions to further the customer experience.
- Create experiments and prototype implementations of new learning algorithms and prediction techniques
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, product managers and business stakeholders to design and implement software solutions
- Use machine learning best practices to ensure a high standard of quality for all of the team deliverables
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Extensive experience applying theoretical models in an applied environment
- Strong fundamentals in problem solving, algorithm design and complexity analysis
- Maintain an understanding of industry and technology trends in area of research.
- Contribute to Amazon's Intellectual Property through patents and/or external publications.
- Understand business context to decisions made within and across groups.
- Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies with customer impact
- Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.