GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for a variety of clerical and filing duties including the scanning of reports into charts, processing requests for medical records releases, answering telephones, scheduling appointments, and assisting patients in front desk area.
LOCATION: Woodbridge and Fair Oaks, VA
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to HR Director
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
1. Greets patients in polite, prompt, helpful manner. Provides any necessary instructions/directions. Accommodates any patient need(s). Answers any patient questions, informs back office of each patients arrival.
2. Verifies and updates patient insurance information in the system for each patient at each visit. Runs a copy of both sides of the patients insurance card at each visit. Scan copy of insurance card (front and back) and drivers license into the electronic medical records system.
3. Uses the computer system to generate information necessary for billing. Maintains current understanding of patient medical insurance changes, including HMO and PPO coverage and copay levels.
4. Collects copay/surgery deposits/balances, provides any forms needing completion, and obtains signatures as necessary.
5. Answers telephone in a pleasant manner and deals with patient needs expeditiously. Maintains patient confidentiality, whether speaking with a patient in person, on the telephone, or while looking at a chart.
6. Records all payments and provides receipts to patients
7. Balances cash, check, and credit card receipts at the end of the day. Total each category amount of cash, checks, and credit card receipts at the end of day, complete deposit slip for cash and checks indicating patient account # on checks, Make copy of all checks and cash. Run credit card detail report and settle credit card machine. Copy deposit slip and credit card detail report. Scan deposit slip and credit card detail report into the electronic medical records system for charge entry.
8. Processes triage phone calls and directs to the appropriate medical personnel
9. Scans in all necessary paperwork from patients visit (i.e. Financial forms, history forms)
10. Scans in established patients charts prior to their arrival for their first electronic medical record visit
11. Scans in all reports and notes that come into the office via fax or mail
12. Prints Provider schedules for the day and distributes.
13. Completes tasks in a timely fashion
14. Processs patient portal appointment requests and submissions of demographic forms
15. Schedule patient appointments and maintain appropriate scheduling times for quality patient flow.
16. Copies records when requested with proper approval. Requests may come in person, via telephone, via e-mail or fax. Requestors should be notified of corporate policy and copying fees for medical records prior to copying records.
17. Maintains files and records in a confidential manner. Types correspondence as requested.
18. Reviews new Provider schedules when issued and checks for changes that require rescheduling of patients. Reschedules patients as necessary when Provider schedules change.
This jobholder must demonstrate current competencies applicable to job position.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or GED. Completion of medical terminology course preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of two year's experience in customer service setting, preferably six months receptionist experience in health care setting and experience with office equipment. One-year of general clerical and computer experience preferred with some expose to medical terminology.
REQUIREMENTS: Ability to multitask and maintain a positive attitude.
1. Knowledge of receptionist tasks, office policies and procedures.
2. Knowledge of how to use office equipment including telephone, computer, copies and fax machine.
3. Knowledge of customer service concepts and techniques.
4. Knowledge of medical terminology
5. Knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation to type simple correspondence.
6. Knowledge of basic arithmetic to make simple calculations.
1. Skill in using office equipment satisfactorily and handling paperwork/filing adequately.
2. Skill in customer service principles by creating a pleasant waiting room atmosphere.
3. Skill in using computer programs and applications.
1. Ability to communicate clearly in person and on the telephone and establish/maintain cooperative relationships with patients, families, providers, staff and other customers.
2. Ability to organize and prioritize tasks effectively.
3. Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
4. Ability to sort and file materials correctly by alphabetic or numeric systems.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS: Work may require some hand dexterity for office machine operation, frequent stooping and bending to files and supplies, or occasional lifting up to 50 pounds to waist height. Manual dexterity for using a calculator and computer keyboard. Need to be able to lift and store boxes of medical records in storage areas. Sitting for 7-8 hours per day as receptionist. Vision must be corrected to 20/20 and hearing must be in normal range. Must be able to view computer screens for long periods. Occasional stress related workload and customers with problems. Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
ENVIRONMENTAL/WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in an office environment that is well ventilated and well lighted, around the patient files. Involves contact with staff and customers. Work may be repetitious at times.