Want to work for a contemporary water management agency whose mission is to assist in meeting the increasing water demands of the West while protecting the environment and the public's investment? Join the staff of the Bureau of Reclamation as an IT Specialist(Data Mgmt/Apps Software).
This position is located with the Bureau of Reclamation, Div of Information Management Services, in Sacramento, CA. For more information on the Sacramento area visit: http://www.saccounty.net/Pages/default.aspx
Position may be filled at the GS-07, GS-09, or GS-11 level. At the full performance GS-11 level, the incumbent serves as an Information Technology Specialist (Data Management/Applications Software). At the GS-07 or GS-09 level, the duties are developmental in nature, leading to the full performance level of GS-11. The incumbent may be non-competitively promoted to the next level of the position upon meeting all regulatory requirements; certification by the supervisor of successful performance; completion of all training requirements; and the availability of work at the next higher grade level. Note: promotion is not automatic.
- Serves as an Application Developer and Database Administrator (DBA). Application development includes system design, testing and implementation. Database administration includes software installation, configuration and maintenance.
- Performs in-depth analysis of automated and manual systems for the design, redesign and programming of new and existing database management systems.
- Selects appropriate programming language and utility routines or adaptations.
- Estimates resource and equipment requirements for designing, coding, testing, documenting, and implementing data automation requirements.
- Documents data elements and develops program layouts, interrelationships, sequences, and internal logic. Specifies inputs and outputs, appropriate data structure, module interface plans, detailed layout of files, and test plans. Codes, tests, debugs and documents applications.
- Designs and implements new large and complex databases based on a comprehensive knowledge database management concepts, and business practices and program interrelationships.
- Prepares system documentation in accordance with Regional standards, including information such as functional specifications, maintenance manuals, test and implementation plans, cost analysis, specification documents, and/or database feasibility studies.
Occasional travel - Travel is required less than 5% of the time.
Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
Applications, Software Developers
Database Management System Specialists
Developers, Software Applications
Developers, Software Systems
Software Developers, Applications
Conditions of Employment
Position subject to an Extensive Background Investigation.
Applicants must meet all qualification, and as applicable, selective factor requirements, by the closing date of this announcement.
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience or education as defined below:
One year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to at least the GS-05 level in the Federal service; OR, superior academic achievement; OR, one full year of graduate level education in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or a degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
One year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to at least the GS-07 level in the Federal service; OR, two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Master's degree or equivalent graduate degree, or Master's or equivalent graduate degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, technology management or a degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
One year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to at least the GS-09 level in the Federal service; OR, three full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D., or equivalent degree or a Ph.D. or equivalent graduate degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, technology management or a degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
Superior Academic Achievement:
Applicants can qualify for GS-07 on the basis of Superior Academic Achievement in one of three ways: (1) high grade point average, (2) class standing, or (3) membership in a national scholastic honor society.
GPA 2.95 or above for all courses for the entire curriculum or for courses completed during the final 2 years. As an alternative, the GPA may be 3.45 or higher for courses in the major field of study either all major courses or major courses during the final 2 years.
(2) Class Standing:
Applicants must rank in the top third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision.
(3) Honor Society Membership:
Membership in one of more than 65 nationally recognized scholastic honor societies may qualify.
For all grades, individuals must have IT related experience demonstrating each of the following for competencies:
1. Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2. Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3. Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4. Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
To receive credit for education completed outside the United States, applicants must show proof that the education has been submitted to a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign educational credentials and such education has been deemed at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education programs.
Definition of Specialized Experience:
To meet specialized experience, your resume must describe experience that demonstrates the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities as follows:
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This vacancy announcement allows substituting education for experience. You must submit a copy of your college transcript (unofficial copy is acceptable) to support your education if you are substituting education for experience. Transcripts must include the name of the college or university and date the degree was conferred.
Travel and relocation expenses are not authorized and are the responsibility of the selectee.
Reclamation has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisory approval.
Conditions of Employment/Other Information
Optional Form 306 (OF-306):
- This position requires completion of a one-year probationary period.
- Successful adjudication of personnel security investigation required.
- Travel is required less than 5% of the time.
- Operation of a government vehicle is required; therefore, you must possess and maintain a valid State’s driver’s license.
- This position is included in the bargaining unit represented by NFFE, Local 951.
- All Federal employees are required by PL 104-134 to have federal payments made by direct deposit.
Before final appointment and again before you begin work, you will be required to sign and certify the accuracy of the information in your application. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or you may be subject to fine, imprisonment, or other disciplinary action.
For a list of Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Federal hiring process visit: Federal Hiring Process FAQ
DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Human Resources (HR) will review resumes and transcript(s) to ensure applicants meet the basic qualification requirements. We will evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the information provided in the assessment questionnaire. The assessment questionnaire will take approximately 60 minutes. Applicants determined best-qualified will be referred to the selecting official.
Category rating and selection procedures will be used for evaluating this position. If you meet the basic qualification requirements, your on-line responses to the vacancy assessment questionnaire will be used to determine the quality and extent of your experience, education, training, etc., for placement in one of the following categories: 1) Best Qualified, 2) Well Qualified and 3) Qualified. Veterans with preference will be placed at the top of their respective category. Best Qualified candidates are those who meet minimum qualifications, are highly proficient in the major requirement(s) of the position, and proficient in most of the remaining aspects of the position. Well Qualified candidates are those who meet minimum qualifications and are proficient in most aspects of the position. Qualified candidates are those who meet minimum qualifications and possess only a few aspects of the position.
Applicants will be further evaluated on the following Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs) through their resume and responses to the online questions.
1. Knowledge to perform in-depth analysis of automated and manual systems for the design, redesign and programming of new and existing database management systems.
2. Ability to manipulate data or modify database objects using PL/SQL.
3. Knowledge of database management concepts and principles sufficient to plan and coordinate the migration of data to a newer version of a database management system; advise customers on new database features; and perform studies to evaluate the effectiveness of current database methods and procedures; refine data models; and run test queries and troubleshoot database problems.
4. Knowledge of systems analysis and design techniques including data and process modeling, alternative design approaches, configuration management, and computer equipment requirements to carry out studies and to advise on the merits of proposed applications, designs, and design changes.
5. Ability to evaluate approaches in the formulation of programming or systems specifications and create design and user documentation for internally designed applications.
6. Ability to communicate orally with end users to determine database management needs.
Applicants must make a fair and accurate assessment of their qualifications. Applicants rating themselves higher than is apparent in their description of experience, competencies, skills, and/or education/training OR that copy vacancy announcement posting information verbatim into resume OR whose resume/application is incomplete may be removed from employment consideration.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Drug test required
To be considered for this position, applicants are required to submit a resume (with dates of employment, i.e. years and months), an on-line assessment questionnaire, and the following supporting documents, as appropriate:
All applicants must furnish a copy of their college transcript(s), if applicable. If selected, you will be required to provide official college transcripts to verify your educational qualifications prior to reporting for work.
DD-214, Certificate of Release from Active Duty:
If you are entitled to veterans' preference, you must provide a copy of your DD-214, and you should indicate the type of veterans' preference you are claiming on your resume. Your veterans' preference entitlement will be verified by the employing agency.
For information on veteran's eligibility visit:
- For 0-point sole survivorship preference, submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 copy); the family member’s DD-214 (Member 4 copy) and documentation to support the family member was killed, died as a result of wounds, accident, or disease, is in a captured or missing in action status, or is permanently 100 percent disabled or hospitalized on a continuing basis (and is not employed gainfully because of the disability or hospitalization).
- For 5-point veterans' preference, submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 Copy), or an official statement of service from your command if you are currently on active duty, or other official documentation (e.g., documentation of receipt of a campaign badge or expeditionary medal) that proves your military service was performed under honorable conditions.
- For 10-point veterans' preference, please submit a Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, DD-214, and the required documentation requested by this form.
CTAP/ICTAP provides placement assistance to permanent Federal employees who are surplus, displaced or involuntarily separated. Applicants claiming CTAP/ICTAP eligibility must submit a copy of their most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility and most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location with their application. To be considered under CTAP/ICTAP, applicants must be well-qualified, i.e. meet the minimum qualification requirements, including selective factors, education and experience requirements and score at least 90 on the assessment questionnaire as established, and be able to perform the duties of the position upon entry. For information on CTAP/ICTAP, visit: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.