University of Pittsburgh Physicians Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation is hiring a Full Time Medical Assistant to join their team! This position will be located in the new, cutting-edge patient centered UPMC Vision and Rehabilitation Institute (Mercy Pavilion) when construction is completed in Spring of 2023. This position will have the opportunity to work with the top brain injury and spine physicians. Interested? Apply now!
Upon hire, employees will work out of the Kaufmann Building in Oakland for training before being moved into the Mercy Pavilion.
Hours are Monday through Friday daylight with no weekend or holiday requirements.
Sign On Bonus may be available
Applicants will be placed in the appropriate job title and salary from the Medical Assistant Career Ladder, based on their individual experience and education.
- Check schedules and organizing patient flow. Accompany patients to exam/procedure room. Assist patients as needed with walking, transfers, dressing, collecting specimens, preparing for exam, etc. Collect patient information/history; taking vitals, performing screenings per provider guidelines. Relay instructions to patients/families.
- Send/receive patient medical records in accordance with Health Insurance. Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other state and federal regulations.
- Prepare patient rooms, set up instruments and equipment according to department protocol. Clean exam/procedure rooms, instruments and equipment between patient visits to maintain infection control. Clean according to scheduled maintenance program and keeping appropriate records. Manage inventory of supplies; restocking exam/procedure rooms.
- Comply with requirements of appropriate regulatory agencies (i.e. OSHA, CLIA, PA Department of Health). Maintain strict confidentiality related to medical records and other data. Comply with all UPMC Health System policies and procedures.
- Perform phlebotomy, EKG's, and level one labs. Perform clinic procedures according to policy and procedure. Assist physicians with procedures. Document patient information into the medical record.
- Answering calls and providing pertinent information including patient education as directed.
- Obtain lab/x-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information, etc. Complete forms/requisitions as needed. Schedule appointments. Verify insurance coverage and patient demographics. Prepare and managing charts to ensure information completed and filed appropriately. Other front office responsibilities, as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Successful completion of a Medical Assistant program or equivalent hospital program, or a minimum of one year of direct patient care experience is preferred.
- Must have basic computer skills and knowledge of medical terminology, examination, diagnostic and treatment room responsibilities.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Act 34
- UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran