New Rep is seeking to hire an outstanding person to work as part of the Marketing and Communications Team as the Communications Director. The position will oversee all aspects of audience development and retention, brand management, earned ticket sales and box office services, and be in charge of day-to-day marketing operations to ensure deadlines and departmental goals are on target throughout the year. The Communications Director position will also manage the full-time Creative Services/Marketing Associate, a part-time Group Sales Associate, and oversee Box Office operations.
Essential Roles of the Communications Director:
- Focus on growing new audiences while retaining and deepening relationships with current audiences. Through effective communication of the mission, vision and programming activities, the Communications Director develops and executes strategies to generate all earned ticket revenues for the Theatre.
- Develop innovative and leading edge audience development and retention initiatives which will ensure New Rep has an audience as diverse as the programming on its stages.
- Play a leading role in the Theatre’s strategic planning initiatives which currently include research into potential audiences in the local market, analysis of pricing strategies, branding and more.
- Shape public perception of the Theatre through execution of brand identity through print communications, publication electronic media, media relations, public events and physical spaces.
- Develop community ties and serve on committees to further develop the profile of arts within the city and state.
- Lead initiatives to achieve goals defined in the Theatre’s strategic plan, and further develop long-range audience development goals and strategies.
- Collaborate with other internal departments to improve the patrons’ experience of the Theatre.
- Collaborate with the Development Department to integrate organization strategy and customer relationship management in marketing and fundraising efforts, and with the Box Office to increase sales and ensure excellent customer service.
- Serve as staff liaison and collaborate with the Outreach Committee of the Board.
Essential functions include (but not limited to):
- Mastermind and supervise the planning and implementation of all marketing, public relations, and sales programs to secure nearly $1.2 million in earned income through subscriptions, single tickets, and educational outreach efforts.
- Create and maintain relationships with media outlets both local and national as New Rep’s public relations specialist.
- Supervise New Rep’s sales projections and corresponding pricing and inventory strategies to maximize revenue and motivate sales team while maintaining fiscal health of annual operation
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate.
- Put communication vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities.
- Monitor and lead Creative Services/Marketing Associate responsible for New Rep’s website administration and coordination, social media initiatives and graphic design.
- Create and execute innovative stakeholder communication strategies to educate and inform current supporters about activities and accomplishments.
- Support the development of community engagement and access initiatives of the theatre to expand and diversify New Rep’s audience.
- Cultivate a risk-taking work environment that enables innovation and growth in new technology and marketing practices to ensure New Rep’s vitality.
- Mobilize the communications team to “get the plan off the page” with efficiency and flexibility – measuring results and adjusting the plan to reach aggressive goals.
- Highly collaborative, “working as a team” approach and style.
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies.
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills and exceptional interpersonal skills with an ability to establish strong relationships via email, phone, and in person.
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently in a fast paced environment.
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution.
- A minimum of 4 years of related experience.
- A strong work ethic. Someone who leads by example and can work effectively in a creative non-profit environment.
- Experience in a performing arts or cultural institution a plus.
- Must be available to work and participate in events, including performances, audience engagement initiatives, and meetings that take place early mornings, evenings, and on weekends.
- Strong commitment to the mission and goals of New Repertory Theatre.
Job Type: Full-time