Human Resources Representative/Generalist
At Smith Debnam, our philosophy is simple - to provide the best possible value to our clients. We firmly believe that the key to delivering such value is equally simple - the people who make it happen. Our professional service team, the attorneys, paralegals and staff, are therefore our most important asset. We are committed to maintaining an environment that provides professional fulfillment, actively supports professional development, and communicates the value of each person's contributions.
Smith Debnam has been providing legal services to businesses and individuals in North Carolina for more than 30 years. We offer our employees a professional work environment, competitive salaries, quality benefit programs and flexible work hours.
Summary Job Description:
The Human Resources Representative will have the primary responsibility of maintaining all employee information in our HR system and records and with the processing of all payrolls. This position will also assist with various aspects of recruitment, on-boarding of new hires, and benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
HR, Payroll and Record Keeping
- Ensures timely and accurate entry of all employee information within our HR System for new hires, existing employees and terminations.
- Enters all new benefit enrollments and changes continuously and during annual open enrollment.
- Updates employee records for compensation, address, beneficiary, or employment status changes.
- Ensures timely and accurate processing of all payrolls (Bi-weekly, Semi-monthly and bonus runs). Reconciles all changes, uploads/saves payroll reports and provides payroll information to accounting.
- Keeps abreast of changes within the system by working with our ADP vendor, studying/training on updates and taking courses.
- Continually evaluates effectiveness of existing processes within the HR system and recommends new approaches.
- Processes/creates various reports from the HR System such as payroll data, benefit summaries, employee censuses, and compensation.
- Maintains all HR record keeping for payroll, employee files and HR System.
- Writes and/or updates job descriptions.
- Posts current openings on HR System and various job boards.
- Reviews resumes, screens candidates and makes recommendations to management for assigned positions.
- Notifies candidates of their status during the recruitment process.
- Schedules interviews for selected candidates.
- Maintains a candidate tracking worksheet reflecting open positions, interviews scheduled, notes, offers made, accepted/not accepted, start date or reasons for offers declined etc.
- Follows up with candidates and managers regarding the status of the opening.
- When a candidate is selected, coordinates the scheduling of new hire orientation.
- Presents human resources content for new hire orientation.
Benefits and Invoicing
- Audits monthly benefit billing invoices and processes accounting allocation to submit to accounting for timely payment.
- Maintains accurate records of new enrollments, termination of coverage and/or changes to benefits.
- Provides timely notification of changes to carriers/vendors to ensure accuracy of invoices.
- Responds timely to any benefit questions or concerns from staff and external providers.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Assists with the employee termination process to include review of PTO and final wage calculations, timely termination of insurance coverages, preparation of COBRA notification, and return of company property.
- Assists with the creation and implementation of employee quarterly newsletter and annual events.
- Assists HR Director with various assignments/projects.
- 4-year bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred
- PHR Certification preferred
- Prior experience processing payroll a plus
- Effective writing and communication skills
- Excellent research skills and the ability to effectively translate and communicate findings to others
- Well developed analytical and critical thinking skills
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Excel and Word
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Proven ability to efficiently manage processes and projects, including an awareness and effective ability to plan and manage on a detailed level