Position Title: Part Time Police Records Clerk
Department: Police Department
Reports To: Support Services Division Commander
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Approved By: Chief of Police
Approved Date: February 14, 2017
Closing Date: 4pm on Friday, August 30, 2019
The Part Time Police Records Clerk, under the direct supervision of the Support Services Division Commander, provides clerical, secretarial and administrative work in answering telephones, receiving the public, providing customer assistance, data processing and record keeping. The individual must maintain a high level of confidentiality.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Performs work in accordance with applicable Federal and State safety regulations and maintains conformance with the rules, regulations, policies, procedures and operations directives of the City of Groton Police Department.
2. Receives and answers questions, in person and by telephone; responds to inquiries from employees, citizens and others, and refers, when necessary, to appropriate person, official or department.
3. Answers telephone calls to the Records Division and provides information to outside agencies, e.g., the courts, other police agencies, the Department of Children and Families (DCF), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), etc.
4. Codes Department bills to budget line items for review by the Chief of Police, makes appropriate copies and forwards signed bills to the Finance Department.
5. Prepares purchase requisitions as requested.
6. Maintains clothing allowance accounts.
7. Collects fees and maintains files associated with petty cash, general funds received for permit applications (vendor, raffle, peddler, rooming house), licenses required by the City of Groton and other Department fees. Submits funds, receipts and reports to the Finance Department.
8. Monitors the Education Incentive Program, MRT/Defibrillator Incentive payments, longevity payments and grade increases for Police Officers and ensures yearly payments are made in accordance with the applicable provisions of the Police Union contract. Notifies the Human Resources Department via electronic mail of longevity and grade increases.
9. Receives, compiles and processes payroll data, worksheets for regular and overtime hours, and private duty assignments using the appropriate software and prepares payroll authorization for weekly submission to the Finance Department.
10. Maintains a record for each employee of all accumulated and taken sick leave including time allocated to Family Medical Leave (FMLA); earned and taken vacation leave; earned and taken compensatory time; military leave and unpaid leave. Prepares and posts quarterly reports of all employees’ sick leave as required by the Police Union contract.
11. Inputs and retrieves statistical data and reports from the Police Department’s computerized databases.
12. Performs data entry duties to include parking enforcement data, criminal history data, motor vehicle violations data, infractions and correspondence.
13. Maintains the Department’s computerized and manual master name databases.
14. Enters Court dispositions into the Department’s computerized database.
15. Deletes erroneous information in Department’s databases upon authorization by the Chief of Police or his/her designee.
16. Receives, posts and transmits all parking ticket fines to the Finance Department.
17. Operates the computerized parking ticket system to include receiving, downloading, transmitting and maintaining parking ticket data.
18. Maintains an accurate listing of all towed vehicles.
19. Produces monthly revenue report.
20. Creates and maintains the Parking Ticket Appeals Hearing List for the Hearing Officer.
21. Performs Department Records checks.
22. Researches and prepares release of records in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act.
23. Maintains statistical information on Department operations (mileage, number of incidents by classification, adult and juvenile arrests, etc.,) and revenue.
24. Maintains the Department’s Special Needs List (a listing of residents who have indicated a need for assistance in the event of an evacuation).
25. Maintains Department’s copy machines and arranges for service as required.
26. Sends, receives, opens and delivers mail to Department personnel.
27. Prepares mail and items for shipment by the United States Mail, UPS, FedEx, etc.
28. Performs other duties as may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
An associate’s degree from an accredited college/university in business administration, business management or secretarial science preferred and five (5) years responsible related experience in office procedures and practices such as typing, filing and accounting.
Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing using correct grammar.
A work history that shows punctual, regular and consistent attendance is required.
A demonstrated working proficiency with personal computers, copy machines, facsimile machines and typewriters and software applications, e.g., the Microsoft Office suite including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Publisher.
Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
Ability to remain calm during stressful situations.
Possess a pleasant personality for dealing with co-workers, superiors, and members of the public.
Efficient work habits and accuracy required.
Ability to interpret instructions furnished verbal or written.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop; kneel or crouch; talk and/or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to thirty (30) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The hours of work for this position are 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $19.75 /hour