CroppMetcalfe was founded and established in 1979 by Mitchell Cropp and was acquired by HomeServe USA in 2019. CroppMetcalfe's mission has always been to provide the ultimate in total comfort systems for your homes and businesses. Superior quality and service has fueled continuous growth, making CroppMetcalfe one of the largest and most respected heating, air conditioning, plumbing, electrical, pest control, and home performance contractors in the Washington Metropolitan area.
The Controller manages and directs all aspects of accounting and supports financial/business reporting throughout the organization. Acting as the business’ financial director he/she works with the parent company in the development, preparation, and maintenance of financial information including income statements, balance sheets, key performance indicators, metrics, budget and expense reports, and reports for government agencies.
Part of the local Executive team, the Controller aids CroppMetcalfe in formulating and administering organization policies, procedures, and workflows. Duties are performed personally or through subordinate managers. The Controller reports to the CroppMetcalfe General Manager with heavy reporting and support to and from HomeServe’s Corporate finance functions (primarily Accounting and Revenue Management functions).
Planning & Coordinating
- Participates in formulating and developing long-range goals and objectives.
- Participates in formulating and administering company policies, procedures, and workflows.
- Directs, and coordinates activities of the accounting function, directly or through subordinate managers to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Analyzes activities, costs, operations, and forecast data to determine progress toward stated goals, and objectives.
- Make sure there is effective communication and coordination between departments.
- Instill sense of accountability throughout organization. Take corrective action when appropriate.
- Create, maintain, monitor, and manage by metrics, KPI’s, and other dashboard tools
- Make sure all departments adhere to company policy.
- Handle escalated cross-departmental issues on behalf of Executive leadership, as needed.
Financial Stewardship & Reporting
- Lead the development of and ensure compliance with appropriate controls, policies, procedures and governance principles and practices for financial management and administration functions of the company.
- Oversee the preparing, producing and then reviewing of financial information for the company’s reports to senior management, owners and other outside stakeholders; ensuring the accuracy, interpretation and presentation of all financial reports and statement of the company.
- Financial interpretation and analysis of financial reports. Track actual income and expenses against budget and provide regular reports to senior management and the owners detailing the causes for the variance.
- Ensure that all financial reports comply with GAAP and any other applicable requirements.
- Liaise with the company’s external auditors for any annual auditing requirements,
- Address all management issues raised by the external auditors or internal auditors and report those issues to management and the owners.
- Work closely with the HSNA Director of tax in the development of tax strategies and minimization of tax.
- Directly supervises managers who, in turn, supervise other coworkers in the Accounting department.
- Provide direction to team regarding duties and goals
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsible for meeting company standards and ensuring successful operation by providing guidance and leadership of the overall direction, ensuring coordination between departments and branches.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training supervisors and managers; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding, and disciplining coworkers; addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or similar.
- CPA is preferred.
- Eight to ten years of experience in all aspects of accounting including at least two years in the top senior accounting position
- Prior experience in HVAC accounting and business operations (or similar type industries) preferred
- Strong technical accounting knowledge in both U.S. GAAP and IFRS
- Big 4 accounting firm experience strongly preferred
- Strong working knowledge of financial systems software is required (Oracle, Hyperion, Excel etc.)
- Strong knowledge of tax matters preferred
- Experience managing financial operations: Accounts Payable, cash receipts processing and/or customer refunds processing required
- Experience with Sarbanes Oxley compliance preferred
- Ability to be an effective team leader of large teams with divergent responsibilities and accountabilities
- Ability to handle confidential information in a discreet, professional manner and to display initiative
- Demonstrated success working both individually and with a team in a fast-paced, high volume, deadline oriented environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail is required
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, in order to deal effectively with a variety of interpersonal relationships and situations.
- Ability to cultivate strong working relationships with personnel from various areas of responsibility within the organization and interact with employees (at all levels of the company), customers and vendors in a professional manner.
- Strong analytical, verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Well organized, detail oriented with ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines while managing multiple concurrent tasks
- Strong work ethic and willingness to take ownership
- Ad-hoc responsibilities as assigned
CroppMetcalfe offers a complete benefits package:
- Competitive compensation
- Career development and advancement opportunities
- Friendly, open and team oriented work atmosphere
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Life & Disability (ST & LT) Insurance
- 401(k) plan with a company match
CroppMetcalfe is an equal opportunity employer and a drug free workplace.
Job Type: Full-time
- management: 2 years (Preferred)
- Accounting: 1 year (Preferred)
- A valid CPA CMA or other related accounting designation (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance