Wixom, MI - Wixom, MI
Skilled Labor - Trades
This entry level position supports the Press Operator in the print production environment. The Press Set-Up Technician is responsible for mounting plates, pulling dies, making and staging inks, cleaning press parts and anilox, and assisting the press operator by setting up jobs on press as time allows. The press set-up technician will be trained to learn the press operation so they may fill in for breaks and time off. Qualified candidates should have at least 1 year of experience in a printing/packaging or manufacturing environment.
This position offers a great opportunity to learn and develop into an exciting career in print production! Scheduled shift is 3:00pm to 11:00pm
Monday through Friday. Scheduling adjustments, occasional overtime and weekends are possible, depending on business needs. Position is full time with full benefits including medical, dental, vision, STD, LTD, life insurance and 401k with match as well as generous PTO plan and quarterly profit sharing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review daily schedule and gather required press plates, dies, doctor blades, and cylinders per the ticket specification. Verify the plate numbers match the job ticket.
- Utilize the press staging cart to stay one job ahead on each press. Items staged on the press staging cart include:
- The job jacket with job ticket.
- Press plates mounted on cylinders with print rods inserted (if applicable).
- Mag dies mounted to the mag cylinders. * Assist the press operator by installing cylinders, doctor blades, and mag dies onto the press itself. Focus on ways to assist the press operator to set up the press as efficiently as possible.
- During the job run, assist press operator with troubleshooting any issues, to include dies, cleaning and remounting press plates, and refilling UVs and inks as necessary.
- Learn press operation to be able to fill in for breaks and time off.
- Communicate with the Ink Technician and Warehouse Material Handler as necessary to ensure the required ink and paper are provided during long job runs where ink or paper may run out.
- Communicate with Press Operator, Shift Supervisor, and/or Production Manager regarding any issues or problems with supplies. Keep plenty of supplies on hand. Utilize kanban systems as needed on high usage items.
- Maintain the work area and machines in a clean and orderly condition and follow prescribed policies and safety regulations.
- Additional duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- At least one year manufacturing experience, press or printing experience or related production experience preferred.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Good verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to read work tickets and interpret written information to provide the proper supplies to the press
- Ability to do basic math and measurements.
- Must be proactive and detail oriented to catch problems or inconsistencies and bring them to management’s attention.
- Be careful and respectful of high dollar press tooling.
- Good organization skills to manage multiple different labels each day.
- Should be mechanically inclined to grasp the basics of press setup and operation.
- Lifting, standing, crouching, stair climbing with a load, and associated repetitive tasks.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 lbs.
- Pass a pre-employment drug test and subject to random drug screening.
- Regular exposure to dust and noise in the production environment.
- Warehouse temperatures may be influenced by outside temperatures.
- Regular skin and clothing exposure to ink, UVs, varnishes, and detergents.
Personal Protective Equipment:
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Safety toe shoes and glasses are required on the production floor.