At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building amazing products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We're in the running to power the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
We're looking for a passionate engineer with customer facing experience, who loves helping people, solving problems, and wants to be a major factor in the success of our customers. This position is for someone who is technical and experienced in web development, but also wants to stay close to customers at a fast-moving startup.
Daily, you're likely to interact with multiple languages, web frameworks, APIs, data warehouses, SQL queries, and more. One customer might be combining web data with iOS data, while another sends point of sale purchases through a Go backend to multiple analytics tools and a data warehouse. Every problem is unique, and in a normal day you might interact with dozens of languages, analytics and marketing tools, and third party APIs.
The main responsibility of a success engineer is to provide answers, share standard methodologies and solve technical issues that Segment customers are facing. Most customer interactions happen within Zendesk, with a few phone calls, in-person meetings, and Slack chats sprinkled in. Success Engineers also spend time improving documentation, building scalable resources and finding ways to more effectively and when possible proactively resolve customer questions.
You'd be joining a team of talented individuals that care deeply about Segment's customers, partners, each other and the broader community. We judge ourselves on how well we serve each of those stakeholders. So if you enjoy working with smart people and helping to build a company that cares about quality, you've found the right place.
What you'll do:
- Help customers utilize Segment's API across many platforms (web, mobile, server)
- Maximize the value generated from the many destinations Segment supports
- Maintain customer promises by keeping tickets updated
- Utilize feedback to improve customer experience and debugging strategies
- Improve team efficiency by creating internal content and improving public documentation
- Take our support tooling and analysis to the next level by building simulators and visualizations
- Work closely with the product team and partners to improve customer satisfaction
- Become a guide on the code base and functionality of the Segment platform, libraries, and integrations. And help improve it!
You're a great fit if you...
- You have experience working with sophisticated clients on a technical product, bonus points if it was enterprise software in a related industry
- You have the ability to effectively communicate technical concepts and identify patterns in customer experience
- You have basic understanding of SQL, mad query-writing skills is a big asset
- You have a strong commitment to learning the ins and outs of a complicated technical product
This role requires you being full-time in our San Francisco headquarters.
As a proud equal opportunity employer, we're committed to hiring top talent regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We don't just accept difference - we celebrate you being who you are for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community.