- Management Experience
- Project Management
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Office
CCANO’s English as a Second Language (ESL) is an English language study program for nonnative speakers. Our goal is to help improve the students’ level of English so they can become confident and successful in their life goals and as members of the community. We work closely with the vulnerable immigrant population, local refugee resettlement agencies as well as domestic violence and human trafficking survivors to ensure that English language learners find a place of support and culturally sensitive education.
This position is for a full-time Americorps VISTA. For more information on the Americorps VISTA program, including stipend and other requirements, see: http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-vista.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
In order to increase the capacity of Catholic Charities' English as a Second Language (ESL) program, the AmeriCorps VISTA will be asked to lead the endeavor in structuring and launching the Family Literacy project, which aims to increase that accessibility of English literacy services by providing a comprehensive and holistic approach to intergenerational learning. Family literacy programs address the literacy needs of both adults and children with the understanding that different generations have varying educational needs that intersect and diverge in dynamic ways. The VISTA will be asked to:
- Utilize evidence-based literacy strategies to develop a curriculum that provides ESL instruction to adults and children in both separate and combined settings, as well as
- Interactive literacy activities to engage parents and their children together. This will entail researching and evaluating successful Family Literacy programs; tailoring such programs to the specific needs of CCANO Immigration and Refugee Services clients;
- Recruit, train, and manage ESL volunteers; monitor program inputs and outputs;
- Develop and maintain thorough records of progress, contacts, and program goals
- Conduct outreach during internship and volunteer fairs and attendance at key events;
- Develop and manage relationships with partner agencies, universities, and community-based organizations;
- BA/BS in social work/social services, business, Latin American Studies or related field from an accredited institution preferred;
- Project management experience preferred;
- Cultural competence and a good understanding of diverse immigrant populations, as well as sensitivity to the special needs of refugee children, adults, and families;
- Strong oral/written communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to maintaining effective and professional work relationships;
- Strong management and organizational skills, in particular time management and multi-tasking;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and Excel;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and maintain professionalism and confidentiality;
- Proficiency in Spanish, Arabic, Haitian Creole, or other languages valued;
- Access to reliable personal transportation required.
Job Status: Full-time (Volunteer/Stipend)
Application Deadline: Hiring Immediately.
Job Type: Full-time
- Social Services: 1 year (Preferred)
- Project Management: 1 year (Preferred)
- Spanish (Required)
- Haitian Creole (Required)
- Arabic (Required)