Area of Consideration: Open to the Public
Type of Appointment: MSS-2210-15
This position is within the Management Supervisory Service (At-will) and serves at the pleasure of the appointing authority and may be terminated at any time with or without cause.
This position is located in the District of Columbia, Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO). The position serves as a Network Engineering Manager for the DC-Net Program under OCTO. Reporting to the Associate Chief Technology Officer (OCTO/DC-Net), this candidate is the will lead a team of network architects and engineers. The manager will build and maintain vision, strategy, and functional programs necessary to ensure DC-Net’s engineering and operations team are able to full fill their functional roles serving District Governments Voice, Video, Wireless, and Data network. A key element of this role is working with OCTO IT program managers and District Government agencies CIOs and IT leads to manage their LAN/WAN requests, and to help the District manage the network infrastructure supporting critical government operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- Responsible for end-to-end network, unified communications, and wireless services for the District Government’s DC-Net program.
- Manages a team of network engineers and subject matter experts working with vendors and District Agencies’ IT personnel to build, scale, deploy, and support the DC Government network infrastructure.
- Performs strategic and tactical planning for DC-Net’s network services supporting voice, video, wireless, and Internet services.
- Quickly responds, evaluates, and assesses operational alerts/incidents and escalations, engages appropriate technical resources, and timely communicates with stakeholders.
- Maintains awareness and ensure implementation of network and security best practices and architectural standards city-wide while being able to adjust and prioritize based-on public safety and budget constraints.
- Provides input to network architecture team to improve service delivery and operational models based on new trends in technology and/or customer demands.
- Collaborates with the District’s network operations center (NOC), network architects, wireless, unified communications, data center facilities, physical plant and installation, product/business unit, and project management teams daily to ensure continuous operations and delivery of a world class service.
- Pro-actively reviews system logs and alerts to quickly identify problem areas and takes ownership to either resolve undesired incidents and/or assigns tasks to minimize impact to government operations.
- Plans, develops, and manages hardware and software patches/upgrades required to upkeep the network infrastructure and adhere to security vulnerability announcements and service level availability.
- Operates in a rapidly evolving environment, adapts quickly to new information, reprioritizes as needed.
- Serves as point of contact on escalated support and Tier2/3 support for operations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Individual must possess IT-related education and/or experience as defined in the Information Technology qualification standard (2210 series). In addition to meeting basic requirements, at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the grade 14 level is required. Specialized experience is work that has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Examples of specialized experience include: experience leading and managing complex IT programs and projects, cross-functional teams, and end-user service delivery; experience leading the planning, coordination, and execution of the full range of program management and software development life cycle activities for a mission critical, multi-year business systems modernization initiative.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION
- Master’s degree (or equivalent experience) in Telecommunications, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a relevant technology field. Engineering, systems management, computer science, or operations management is preferred.
- Hands-on knowledge and experience to perform network analytics using tools such as Riverbed/OPNET, Solarwinds, NetScout, Wireshark, and NetBrain is preferred.
- The qualified candidate is a technical and operational leader who is highly knowledgeable in the field of network communications, Government operations, and public safety service responsiveness; and has hands-on experience operating and maintaining a world class network service provider.
- Applicant must possess 15 years of information technology experience, with 7 years or more of relevant network operations or engineering leadership experience. Minimum of 3 years leadership experience in managing multiple geographically dispersed technical staff, and influencing senior level management and key stakeholders.
- Expert knowledge and experience designing, engineering, and operating Cisco Routers and Switches. Candidates with operational knowledge of Ciena, F5, Checkpoint, Juniper, Avocent and Riverbed products are preferred.
- Working understanding of Software Defined Networks and Next Generation Data Center architecture is preferred.
Strong consideration will be given for advanced degrees in networking related fields and related professional certifications such as Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP), Cisco Certified Design Expert (CCDE) or Cisco Certified Internetworking Expert (CCIE) or similar credentials.
Project management certification (e.g., “Certified Project Management Professional” per Project Management Institute) is desirable, but not required.
Work is in a controlled environment and involves some exposure to moderate risk of accidents and requires following basic safety precautions.
OTHER SIGNIFICANT FACTS
This position may have an Essential or Emergency Employee Designation. The incumbent may be required in essential or emergency situations or when authorized by the agency head to perform critical tasks.
This position is designated as a Security Sensitive position subject to a mandatory Pre-employment and Biennial Criminal Background checks, and a pre-employment Consumer Credit Check.
For more information regarding the District of Columbia, OCTO and additional benefits of employment, please see below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH55ctiReKs (Welcome video from Mayor Bowser)