For a complete job announcement and job description, please visit https://www.novaparks.com/employment.
NOVA Parks is seeking an experienced accountant who knows journal entries to join a service oriented team of professional and joyful accountants. NOVA Parks’ next Payroll & Accounts Receivable Accountant is fully responsible for the accounting of bi-weekly payroll and accounts receivable and inherits a sound and defined role from the current professional who is retiring. Our Human Resources team manages timesheets and adjustments to pay, and through a system of uploading data, Accounting pays payroll and accounts for transactions through our financial system, Microsoft Dynamics GP. We use point of sales systems at our parks to track and create revenue into the same financial system.
The Department consists of 4 full-time accountants and 1 part-time accounting technician. NOVA Parks has long-standing financial controls in place, and is excited to employ and improve processes that enhance efficiency and service to our staff. As one of the most entrepreneurial park agencies in the nation, NOVA Parks operates in a dozen different kinds of business markets at its 33 unique destination parks. These enterprises generate over 85% of the operating revenues for the agency. NOVA Parks employs approximately 950 employees at the seasonal highest and has an operating budget of $25 million, and over $5 million a year in capital.
- Process Human Resources approved payroll data downloaded from the Stromberg timekeeping system through review of edit lists and reconcile to hours from timesheets out of Stromberg; assure all time data is complete and accurate prior to running payroll checks and posting to payroll sub ledger.
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll for both full time and part time employees; prepare payroll tax payments for both state and federal and other related payroll withholdings. Coordinate payroll related payments with Accounts Payable for processing.
- Prepare and submit all payroll tax related reports including quarterly 941’s.
- File Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Federal withholding taxes for each payroll period.
- Initiate Virginia and Federal tax payments through the appropriate website, ensuring accuracy.
- Prepare and submit the quarterly Unemployment Insurance (UI) return.
- Coordinate the processing of quarterly SUTA via an outside vendor utilizing their software, ensuring accuracy before submittal.
- Prepare all journal entries related to payroll, ensuring accuracy.
- Reconcile payroll on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
- Prepare checks in envelopes for mailing and for pickup on the bi-weekly pay date.
- Prepare year end W-2’s with transmittal after reconciling payroll for the tax year, ensuring accuracy before printing and mailing. Submit W-2 information to the IRS and states as required.
- Process timesheets for volunteer employees through the volunteer company for tracking purposes only.
- Develop automated system for self-service access for employees to view paystubs and tax forms.
- Maintain payroll records; interact with software consultant regarding any problems that may occur in the accounting system to ensure payroll is processed without issues or errors.
- Review input sheets from parks and supporting documentation for necessary approvals, completeness, and correct general ledger account distribution.
- Create journal entries related to revenue, deferrals of revenue, and fees related to credit card fee activity.
- Evaluate deferral process to determine if point of sales system can provide data without duplicating data into MS Dynamics GP.
- Develop a system to more efficiently enter revenue from various POS systems.
- Evaluate current system of adjustments to revenue to determine need based on materiality and implement plan.
- Confirm deposits match the bank statement.
- Maintain source document filing and archival storage of all cash receipt records.
- Maintain rental property receivable accounts in conjunction with the Operations Department; prepare monthly rental invoices, process collections, and prepare journal entries as needed through Accounts Receivable.
- Prepare monthly sales tax reports for review by Senior Accountant before submission to the Virginia Department of Taxation, remitted to Virginia via the internet.
- Prepare and submit check request for Temple Hall Maize commission during the Maize season.
Other accounting duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (minimum)**
Education: Graduation from an accredited college/university with a bachelor's degree in accounting or related field.
Experience: Minimum of two years of progressively responsible accounting experience, or any equivalent combination of education, training, or experience, which provides:
- Experience with full cycle accounting, general ledger. MS Dynamics GP experience a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and follow through to resolve outstanding issues.
- Strong time management skills and ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to manage payroll data and inquiries with discretion and care.
- Experience with computer accounting systems and capability to handle a large volume of data.
- Ability to detect and correct accounting errors and accurately perform algebraic computations.
- Ability to analyze and interpret accounting data and to prepare appropriate statements and reports.
- Ability to work additional hours if needed to meet deadlines during peak operating season.
- Ability to prepare payroll journal entries and balance payroll sub ledger and GL accounts
- Intermediate Excel experience.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to analyze and interpret data and take appropriate action.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within the agency and external contacts.
- Must possess ability to make informed decisions and work with limited direction.
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the position.
Duties and responsibilities are designed to be the essential elements of the job. They do not preclude the performance of related, or even unrelated, jobs which may be necessary to properly and efficiently complete all work assignments. NOVA Parks reserves the right to amend job specifications to meet current needs.
How to Apply: Please submit your complete and current resume to the NOVA Parks Human Resources Office. Please include the NOVA Parks Opportunity Announcement Number on your resume.
Resumes may be sent to: resumes@nvrpa. org, or
NOVA Parks Headquarters
Attn: Human Resources
5400 Ox Road
Fairfax Station, VA 22039
Selection Process: Panel Interview
Background Check/Testing: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a thorough pre-employment background check as well as pre-employment drug screening.
It is the policy of NOVA Parks to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-352-5900 for assistance.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 to $65,000.00 /year
- Payroll: 2 years
- MS Dynamics GP: 2 years
- Accounts Receivable: 2 years
Required work authorization: