Works independently to provide technical review and professional services in the acquisition, disposition and management of County-owned Real Property. Presents analysis and summary conclusions to peers within Real Property, County staff, private sector entities, and the general public on related matters.
Must have extensive knowledge and experience with Real Estate practices and procedures with a high concentration in conducting transactions, researching title information, and drafting transactional documents. Skills in researching, analyzing, and documenting real estate ownership; reviewing surveys, sketches and legal descriptions; and drafting and documenting real estate transactions. Must have the ability to prepare organized technical reports, instruments, and spreadsheets; and to manage real estate transactions for Hillsborough County’s capital improvement and non-capital improvement projects from beginning to end. Experience reviewing commercial and governmental real estate transactions in a technical or legal environment; assuring compliance with laws and regulations relating to land acquisition and disposition; assuring compliance and a clear understanding of the title issues affecting the land.
- Graduation from an accredited four year degree granting college or university with a major in Real Estate, Business, Public Administration, Planning, Architecture or Engineering; AND
- Four (4) years of experience in real estate appraisal, acquisition, disposition, real estate research and/or title review/analysis; OR
- Possession of a current (unexpired) Florida Real Estate License; and 5 years of experience in land or property transactions, land appraisal evaluation, or title abstracting; OR
- An equivalent combination of education (not less than possession of a high school diploma/GED), training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies noted below; AND
- Possession of a valid Florida Driver's License.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of the customer and provide the highest standards of service.
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve.
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations.
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform one or more of the activities described below.
- Negotiates the acquisition and disposition of complex, high value, commercial and special purpose properties.
- Conducts assessments and title analysis related to land and other property acquisitions, rights-of-way, and easements.
- Conducts special studies, analyzes data, prepares reports, and provides recommendations based on data collected.
- Implements the terms of contracts, including developing and meeting critical dates.
- Administers all aspects of the County's vacating program, from initial intake through presentation to the Board of County Commissioners.
- Coordinates, clears title, and manages closings for County real estate acquisitions and dispositions.
- Provides timely and accurate information in response to public information requests.
- Prepares legal instruments for acquisition, disposition, and exchange transactions in collaboration with County Attorney's Office.
- Provides recommendations on terms and conditions upon which properties will be sold, acquired, and/or exchanged.
- May oversee the work and ensures quality control of work performed by Real Property Specialists including scheduling, assigning, and reviewing work and providing training.
- Consistently adheres to records management procedures to ensure timely and accurate additions to county inventory and section files.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge and skill in research of public records, abstracting, examining and evaluating real property information.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, and procedures governing eminent domain, real property conveyance, and real estate title.
- Ability to effectively work independently.
- Skill in negotiating acquisitions and dispositions of real property.
- Ability to confirm legal descriptions from survey data.
- Ability to communication effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to collect, organize, and evaluate data and to develop logical conclusions.
- Ability to work effectively with others, including other staff and the general public, along with fostering relationships with other intra-governmental agencies and/or departments.
- Work typically takes place in an office environment with occasional travel off-site for meetings, training or for the purpose of viewing property..
- This positions requires sitting for an extended period of time.
Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg control requires exertion of forces greater than that of sedentary work and if the worker sits most of the time, the job is considered light work.
Emergency Management Responsibilities
In the event of an emergency or disaster, an employee may be required to respond promptly to duties and responsibilities as assigned by the employee's department, the County's Office of Emergency Management, or County Administration. Such assignments may be for before, during or after the emergency/disaster.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Real Property Specialist.N.Real
Mar 26, 2020
Apr 9, 2020
23.19 -37.11 US Dollar (USD) Hourly