We are seeking an experienced individual to act as a Human Resource Specialist for a non-profit 84-acre
science park in Durham, NC. This position is full time and offers great benefits!
The Human Resource Specialist supports the Museum’s mission by strengthening our ability to attract
and retain talented employees.
- 2-year degree in HR or related field
- 1+ years’ experience in an administrative role
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of federal and NC employment laws
- Experience with HRIS or payroll systems
- Strong computer literacy, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and database systems
- Strong commitment to the Museum’s mission and goals
- Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings to support special events
- Able to work ½ day on either one Saturday or Sunday per month
- Work is performed both in a typical office environment as well as outdoors during special events
- Experience with recruitment compliance and Paychex HRIS system very helpful
- 1+ years’ experience as HR generalist is desired
- 4-year degree in HR or related field is helpful
- Serve as primary recruiter, heading up and coordinating all candidate searches, candidate
communication, interviews, and pre-employment background screens.
- Handle general onboarding of all new staff, including set-up of any technology, distribution of
uniforms and nametags and conducting new hire orientation (paperwork, handbook review, etc.).
- Participate in employee on-boarding process and act as employee liaison during process. Assist in
preparing new employee on-boarding plans with manager. Conduct new staff orientation including
review of employment and safety policies and schedule of Wonder Workshop sessions.
- Participate as a member of the Green Team and Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
- Coordinate uniform ordering and inventory maintenance.
- Work with the Hiring Manager to develop and execute recruitment plans.
- Build networks to find qualified candidates through internet resources, industry contacts,
association memberships, trade groups, social media, and employees. Research and recommend
new sources for active and passive candidate recruiting.
- Human Resource Associate will be primary on implementing a recruitment system and will act as
- Develop and track measurable aspects of the recruiting and hiring process so that the processes are
evaluated for continuous improvement to ensure the Museum is hiring the best possible candidates.
- Administrative duties and recordkeeping.
o Manage recruitment resources.
o Based on Hiring Manager’s guidance, review applicants to evaluate if they meet the position
requirements. Make recommendations to Hiring Manager.
o Conduct prescreening and interview scheduling as requested by Hiring Manager.
o Maintain all applicant and interview data in the recruitment system.
o Perform reference and background checks for potential employees.
o Assist in preparing and sending offer letters.
o Enter and maintain employee records in all relevant systems.
o Write and forward rejection letters.
- Assist in interviews and selection of employees.
- Provide information related to federal and state labor regulations, including FLSA, FMLA, ADA, etc.
Direct those who need assistance to the Director of Human Resources.
- Serve as subject matter expert of Paychex software, including data entry, record updates, running
reports as needed, providing training for new users and troubleshooting problems as necessary.
- Review and make recommendations for improvement of the Museum's policies, procedures, and
practices in employee relations and the volunteer program.
- Assist in the volunteer program providing support with recruitment, training, and coordination of
- Act as volunteer coordinator during occasional evening and weekend special events.
- Train as an Emergency Coordinator and be available to assist in case of emergencies.
- Provide support to weekend staff and volunteers by working a ½ day on a weekend once a month
for training and personnel check-ins.
- Additional duties as needed.