A Kitchen Porter is someone obligated to maintain the cleanliness, hygienic work environment and assist the chefs and cooks of a commercial kitchen.
Duties of a Kitchen Porter
- A Kitchen Porter has various duties and responsibilities to perform. His job is focused on keeping the kitchen clean at all times in order to have a hygienic environment for the chefs to work in.
- A Kitchen Porter is responsible for the cleaning of the kitchen area wherein a regular schedule of cleaning refrigerators, ovens, grills, freezers and food preparation areas is followed.
- It is the duty of a Kitchen Porter to handle the dishwashing using a dishwasher or washing dishes manually.
- Commercial kitchens may require a Kitchen Porter to clean dining tables, comfort rooms and bar service areas. Janitorial work may also be included such as mopping and sweeping of floors, cleaning up of floor drains and trash removal.
- A Kitchen Porter is also responsible to receive and store food deliveries as well.
- In some instances, a Kitchen Porter is also tasked to handle food in order to assist the cooks in preparing the ingredients needed. This involves the cutting of vegetables, putting on serving plates the ingredients for appetizer, and providing food ingredients to the line cooks when they are cooking at the grills or ovens.
- There may be additional responsibilities as required on the job
Work Condition of a Kitchen Porter
The kitchen is the working area of a Kitchen Porter. A Kitchen Porter works at least 40 hours a week including weekend and holidays depending on the schedule given.
This position demands the Kitchen Porter to be physically strong and healthy as the work can involve carrying heavy and big kitchen wares. A Kitchen Porter must be able to work with a team especially under a supervisor.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $11.00 /hour
Required work authorization: