New Orleans Health Department
Health Project & Planning Specialist
Gun Violence Prevention Specialist
STAFF JOB DESCRIPTION
Working Title: Gun Violence Prevention Specialist
Civil Service Title and Class Code: Health Project & Planning Specialist (C5502)
Division/Unit: New Orleans Health Department
Salaried (Exempt) or Hourly (Non-exempt): Exempt
I. Summary of Position
Highly responsible professional work performing specialized duties involving the planning and implementation of community health programs and activities in the area of preventing gun violence; and related work as required.
II. Organizational Relationships
Supervisor: Deputy Director of Health
Assignments received from: Director and Deputy Director of Health
· Public and Private sector organizations.
· NOHD program managers and initiative coordinators
· Non-profit organization leaders
· Collaborative coalition leaders
· New Orleans Police Department and other criminal justice partners
· Chief Administrative Office
Individuals supervised: N/A
III. Duties and Responsibilities
A. Core Functions (provide at least 3):
1. Work with NOHD leadership and other key personnel to develop a comprehensive violence prevention and intervention strategy and oversee its implementation.
2. Oversee any NOHD-specific projects related to gun violence reduction.
3. Regularly report to Administration leadership, City Council, business and community members on progress, outcomes and challenges related to the violence prevention & intervention strategy.
4. Actively work to oversee development, implementation and maintenance of a long-term public-private partnership to reduce violence.
5. Collaborate with other departments and external partners to develop appropriate programs and initiatives, and funding streams to support them, that reflect the broad violence prevention strategy.
6. Analyze and draft NOHD position statements for proposed city, state and federal regulations and legislation that would have an impact on risk factors for gun violence.
7. Participate in the Health Department’s emergency response activities as needed.
8. Represent NOHD at external meetings and working groups as needed.
9. Provide support for other violence prevention efforts as needed.
B. Additional Responsibilities (if applicable):
· Will be expected to respond to public health emergencies.
· Will require non-traditional working hours on occasion.
C. Physical Requirements, if any:
· Occasionally required to lift 25 pound boxes
IV. Qualifications and Skills
A. Minimum Qualifications and Skills Required by Department:
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in public health, social work, social science, or a closely related field.
Four (4) years of professional experience in youth or family violence prevention or a closely related field.
B. Other Qualifications, Skills, and Competencies:
· Applicants should also demonstrate experience cultivating and sustaining cross-sector partnerships (i.e. bridging fields of health and non-health fields) to improve health outcomes.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $59,000.00 - $62,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- New Orleans, LA 70112: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: In person