McLean Hospital is a comprehensive psychiatric hospital committed to providing easy access to superior quality, cost-effective mental health services in the Boston area, Massachusetts and beyond. Since 1811, McLean Hospital has been a world leader in the treatment of mental illness and chemical dependency, research into the cause of mental illness and the training of generations of mental health care providers. McLean's multidisciplinary programs treat a broad range of psychiatric illnesses across the full continuum of care.
A Research Assistant position is available within McLean Hospital - Harvard Medical School’s Anxiety and Traumatic Stress Disorders Laboratory, directed by Isabelle M. Rosso, PhD. The lab is part of the Center for Depression, Anxiety, and Stress Research at McLean Hospital (http://cdasr.mclean.harvard.edu/). The laboratory studies the neurobiological basis and treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and impulse control disorders, using brain imaging and behavioral methods. The principal investigator is Jennifer Fanning, Ph.D. A two-year commitment from the candidate is requested. Renewal of the appointment is contingent upon performance, continued funding, and successful completion of a required period of evaluation. Flexibility in working hours is a plus. This position offers an excellent opportunity for college graduates looking for clinical research experience before applying to graduate school in psychology (particularly clinical psychology programs) or medical school.
All McLean team members are expected to consistently demonstrate our values of integrity, compassion, respect, diversity, teamwork, excellence and innovation in their work activities and interactions.
1. BS or BA degree in Psychology, Neuroscience or related field, required.
2. Must have undergraduate or graduate coursework in neuroscience and/or psychology, or prior research experience in the areas of neuroscience or brain imaging.
3. Experience working with patients with PTSD, anxiety disorders, or impulse control disorders, including familiarity with clinical assessments (e.g., SCID, MINI, CAPS), is preferred, but not a requirement.
Relevant course or project work.
- Knowledge of basic statistical analysis methods and use of statistical software package(s) (e.g., SPSS, SAS)
- Knowledge of clinical research methods and design, and research protocols.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required for working with study participants and research collaborators.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Analytical skills, the ability to resolve technical or research problems, and the ability to critically check data to prevent errors.
- Ability to work as part of a team (e.g., share duties with another research assistant when recruiting and running study participants; complete components of data analysis, slide presentations and manuscript preparations with the PI).
- Excellent planning, organization, and prioritization skills, with the ability to independently monitor and complete a variety of complex tasks.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism in the workplace.
- Ability to demonstrate respect for participants’ rights and individual needs.
- Careful attention to detail (required for data entry and processing of neuroimaging data
All employees must possess basic computer skills to use a variety of electronic or online systems for communication, clinical and administrative purposes.
It is the policy of McLean Hospital to affirmatively provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants for employment and existing employees without regard to their race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, ancestry, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or a condition related to pregnancy including, but not limited to, lactation or the need to express breast milk for a nursing child, or any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable law or regulation.
MA-Belmont-McLean Hospital Main Campus
McLean Hospital Main Campus 115 Mill Street Belmont 02478
Mar 20, 2019