Camp Harbor View changes lives and transforms Boston’s communities by exposing underserved youth to the possibilities of a future they may have never envisioned. We provide unique experiences that let kids be kids, build confidence, unlock creativity, broaden horizons, and foster skills for successful lives. Our exceptional summer day camp and year-long programming helps kids envision new pathways to success by providing life-shaping experiences at a critical time in their lives. The framework of Camp Harbor View’s philosophy puts fun first with programs in boating, arts, athletics, music, aquatics, education, and leadership development. Deep empathy and acceptance open the way to discovering new ways of being. Camp Harbor View models and instils the core values of fun, respect, responsibility, character, courage, and community. The structure of both personal and group challenges with healthy competition creates profound connections with peers, leadership qualities, and liberates the potential of young campers.
Title/Position: Assistant Aquatics Director
Reports to: Aquatics Director, Executive Director and Camp Associate Directors
Locations: Camp Harbor View, Long Island, Boston MA (ferry transportation provided)
Seasonal, Full-Time: June 18 – August 24, 2018
We are currently recruiting for the position of Assistant Aquatics Director to work at Camp Harbor View located on Long Island, MA. The day camp will serve campers aged 11–14 years. The facility includes an outdoor pool and a beach front area for water sports.
- Provide a variety of programming options that further the mission of Camp Harbor View’s core values through a fun, safe, vibrant, age appropriate Aquatics Program. Individual responsibilities include, but are not limited to, oversight of developmental games, swimming lessons, skill development activities and water safety.
- Develop and implement collaborative programs and events with staff from other focus areas.
- Participate in camp wide programming as appropriate.
- Assess camper’s and relevant staff’s swimming abilities.
- Plan and supervise water activities for campers and staff which include swimming in a pool and beach waterfront safety, kayaking, canoeing, paddle boarding and windsurfing
- Provide and oversee swimming instruction for the campers
- Assist to train, supervise, and schedule up to 10 lifeguards in their aquatic program area responsibilities
- Check the water quality and chemical levels in the pool, maintain appropriate levels
- Maintain pool, pool area, and waterfront equipment
- Conduct initial and end of season inventory, check equipment daily for safety, cleanliness, and good repair.
- Supervision and discipline of members participating in aquatic activities
- Other related duties as specified by the Aquatics Director, Executive Director and Camp Assistant Directors .
- Current lifeguard, first aid, and CPR certifications required, WSI certification preferred
- Supervisory experience in a camp setting preferred.
- Interest, knowledge, and skills related to camp waterfront and pool activities.
- Three seasons of previous life guard experience.
- Ability to supervise and teach youth aged 11-14.
- Ability to set up, adjust and monitor physical equipment in specialty area.
- Direct experience developing and delivering aquatics programs for youth.
- Knowledge of trends in swimming techniques and lifeguard training.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required
- Ability to work with youth and families from a variety of backgrounds
Job Type: Temporary
- Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED